How Do I Use A Dahua Camera With A Hikvision NVR?

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried to just plug n' play a Dahua camera into a Hikvision NVR but nothing happened. The NVR could not find the camera although the camera's IR lights are lit upso at least I know it's on. I also know that the Dahua camera works with a Dahua NVR.

Any ideas on what I need to do? And what other info do you need?

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Plug-n-Play's only gonna happen w/all matching vendors cameras.. You might see if you can add an onvif camera on 192.168.1.108, if that dont work you'll have to reconfigure the Dahua to join whatever network the Hik's running

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Any ideas on what I need to do? And what other info do you need?
Presumably plugged in to a PoE port.
In the NVR web GUI, camera Configuration, note down the IP address of the channel you'd like to plug the camera in to. And change the channel to 'Manual' from Plug and Play.
Access the camera web GUI to change the camera IP address to match. It will be something like 192.168.254.x Default gateway should be set to 192.168.254.1
To do this, you may have to connect the PC to an unused PoE port to be able to access the camera, and you may have to temporarily change the PC IP address to be in the same range as the camera's default IP address.

Then you have a choice of using ONVIF or Generic RTSP (via Custom protocol) as the method of connection.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the NVR web GUI, camera Configuration, note down the IP address of the channel you'd like to plug the camera in to. And change the channel to 'Manual' from Plug and Play.
Access the camera web GUI to change the camera IP address to match. It will be something like 192.168.254.x Default gateway should be set to 192.168.254.1
To do this, you may have to connect the PC to an unused PoE port to be able to access the camera, and you may have to temporarily change the PC IP address to be in the same range as the camera's default IP address.

Then you have a choice of using ONVIF or Generic RTSP (via Custom protocol) as the method of connection.
Ok, I'll try it. Thx.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try it. Thx.
Still nothing but I may have done it wrong.

FYI - my system consists of an "Other Region" Hikvision NVR with 5 hacked Chinese Hikvision cameras (I had no idea when I bought them) that ARE NOT connected to the internet or router in any way. But, they worked right out of the box as PnP.

However, now I can't get the NVR to recognize ANY other camera at all. Not other Hikvision cameras, not Dahua, not GeoVision.

So here is what I did today:

I opened the NVR GUI camera configuration and for camera Port #2, it said the IP address was 192.168.254.76. So I edited the configuration and set it to Manual and kept that IP address and used ONVIF protocol. I then plugged the Dahua camera in to PoE Port #2 but, when the camera came on, it said "unknown error". So I tried saving the settings WITH a username but NO password, WITH a username and the 12345 password, and finally with NO username and NO password. But none of these worked.

So then I reset my laptop's IP address to 192.168.254.50 since my cameras range from x.2 to x.76. I then typed into my browser 192.168.254.76 but it eventually "timed out" and nothing happened. *******Is it because I'm NOT connected to the internet in any way?********

I then used the SADP program on my laptop but it did NOT see the Dahua camera at all. I thought maybe I needed to activate the camera but I guess not.

I also used the iVMS-4200 program but it didn't see the Dahua camera either.

So that's it. I have no idea what to try next. I wish I could add the camera using Custom Protocol but it won't let me do that either! Any ideas are very much appreciated!

scguy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running a Hikvision 16 channel NVR and also an LTS NVR (LTN8708-P8) which has 8 POE ports and for all practical purposes is a HIkvision. I'm running Hikvision and Dahua cameras on both of them. If you're like me and would like to still be able to access the individual Dahua cams on your network you can do what I have done. You will lose one of your POE ports with this method but it will work. I disabled DHCP in the NVR's internal NIC. I then plugged in a cable from my router to one of the 8 POE ports. Set your camera to a fixed address in your local subnet. Then add the camera manually using the Onvif protocol entering the IP address you gave the camera earlier. This works for me. You may not want to lose the POE port.

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Were you or did you ever log on to the dahua camera directly from your laptop maybe using a power injector or poe switch to make sure it actually works. When you have these kind of issues, you might go back to square 1 and makes sure it works period. If you did or can, you should be able to change it ip address to match your NVR pool range. As I read here you did not do that. Dahua has a config tool you can download on your laptop and at least it should go out and find your camera and give you the chance to change your ip address on the camera to match your NVR IP POOL range and then you can set it statically or dynamic depending on your needs. Once you do that, and you know it has the correct IP range then you can do your tweeking on the NVR to find your camera. Right now you are shooting in the dark on a bunch of assumptions.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running a Hikvision 16 channel NVR and also an LTS NVR (LTN8708-P8) which has 8 POE ports and for all practical purposes is a HIkvision. I'm running Hikvision and Dahua cameras on both of them. If you're like me and would like to still be able to access the individual Dahua cams on your network you can do what I have done. You will lose one of your POE ports with this method but it will work. I disabled DHCP in the NVR's internal NIC. I then plugged in a cable from my router to one of the 8 POE ports. Set your camera to a fixed address in your local subnet. Then add the camera manually using the Onvif protocol entering the IP address you gave the camera earlier. This works for me. You may not want to lose the POE port.
Yeah, I have an 8 port NVR and I need all 8 cameras. But thanks for the idea. I may have to do that or get a 2nd NVR.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Were you or did you ever log on to the dahua camera directly from your laptop maybe using a power injector or poe switch to make sure it actually works. When you have these kind of issues, you might go back to square 1 and makes sure it works period. If you did or can, you should be able to change it ip address to match your NVR pool range. As I read here you did not do that. Dahua has a config tool you can download on your laptop and at least it should go out and find your camera and give you the chance to change your ip address on the camera to match your NVR IP POOL range and then you can set it statically or dynamic depending on your needs. Once you do that, and you know it has the correct IP range then you can do your tweeking on the NVR to find your camera. Right now you are shooting in the dark on a bunch of assumptions.
I moved the Dahua camera from a Dahua NVR setup and it was working just a few days ago and the lights on the camera come on when I plug it in so I think it's still working but I'll plug it back into the Dahua NVR just to make sure.

Ah, ok. So I need to get the Dahua config tool then. Great! I can do that. Thanks a lot. I'll update when I get that done.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah Plug-n-Play's only gonna happen w/all matching vendors cameras.. You might see if you can add an onvif camera on 192.168.1.108, if that dont work you'll have to reconfigure the Dahua to join whatever network the Hik's running
Ok, I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I'm having the same challenge in adding a Dahua PTZ camera to Hikvision NVR. I can access the camera by connecting it directly to my router with an external power connection. I have identified the IP Address I need to use which is 192.186.254.9...But Dahua config page requires a default gateway address and complains since my network is 192.168.1.1

I have this Dahua PTZ (DH-SD22A204TN-GNI) with all of my other cameras being Hikvision. I followed your instructions and changed my PC IP address so I could set the camera IP address and default gateway for connection to the NVR poe. I can see the camera from the NVR's camera management GUI. The camera IP Address is 192.168.254.9. Default Gateway is 192.168.254.1. Management Port is default 37777. I cannot port forward this port. (I didnt think this was an issue at this point.) I set the adding method to ONVIF. The status of this camera now is unknown error. I don't know how to create a custom protocol if that is what I need to do so please walk me thru that if so. Thanks for any help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Management Port is default 37777.
I don't know that camera - but if it's ONVIF compatible - for an ONVIF connection you need to use the 'ONVIF port'.
In my experience this varies between camera brands.
With Hikvision it's the same as the HTTP port.
With other brands it's 1018 or 8899 or many variations.
A reliable way to find it, if you can connect a PC to the same network (eg an unused PoE port of an NVR) as the camera is on, and the PC IP address is in the same addres range, is to use ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net (see sticky here Onvif Device Manager v2.2.250).
Give it some valid logon credential, top left of the window, and it will find the camera automatically and tell you lots about it.
The 'ONVIF port' is in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know that camera - but if it's ONVIF compatible - for an ONVIF connection you need to use the 'ONVIF port'.
In my experience this varies between camera brands.
With Hikvision it's the same as the HTTP port.
With other brands it's 1018 or 8899 or many variations.
A reliable way to find it, if you can connect a PC to the same network (eg an unused PoE port of an NVR) as the camera is on, and the PC IP address is in the same addres range, is to use ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net (see sticky here Onvif Device Manager v2.2.250).
Give it some valid logon credential, top left of the window, and it will find the camera automatically and tell you lots about it.
The 'ONVIF port' is in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.
Thanks much for reply and help. I was able to get ODM to work and this is the streaming path I saw and I entered it exactly as below.

rtsp://192.168.254.9:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

I put that in but the nvr stills gives me a network unreacheable error. I can make a good connection to the camera via ODM. I tried to redo the add by using the Custom Adding option but I get a message that no more IP camera allowed.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sounds like you used up all the channels on your NVR

try: rtsp://192.168.254.9:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0

be warned, if your adding this as a custom camera and not ONVIF; you'll never get PTZ controls working through the NVR.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sounds like you used up all the channels on your NVR

try: rtsp://192.168.254.9:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0

be warned, if your adding this as a custom camera and not ONVIF; you'll never get PTZ controls working through the NVR.
Thanks. I tried that path and no luck. I tried both custom using this path as well as onvif. Keep getting The network is unreacheable. Is there anyway I can recover a poe port? I read there was a thread on that but coudn't find it. Was thinking that trying 'Custom Adding' option might make a difference.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you manually configure the Dahua w/whatever network settings are required for internal PoE use it should be reachable.. I have no idea what those settings should be, I think it expects each port to have a specific static IP set if it is unable to set it its self

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you manually configure the Dahua w/whatever network settings are required for internal PoE use it should be reachable.. I have no idea what those settings should be, I think it expects each port to have a specific static IP set if it is unable to set it its self
I setup my network setting for static using 192.168.254.254, 255.255.255.0, and Default gateway 192.168.254.1. I then connected my PC to a switch and the camera to one of the ports on the switch along with a power interface that I have. I was able to connect to the camera from my browser and change the network settings to an IP Address of 192.168.254.9, and default gateway 192.168.254.1. I used 192.168.254.9 because this is the address the nvr assigned to port 8. I also could connect to the Camera via ODM. I didn't do anything in ODM other than jot down the stream path. Then I changed my PC back to DHCP, connected the camera to port 8 on the NVR and tried to configure using custom protocol and onvif. Been struggling with this for a few days now and about at my limit! lol... Just can't see where the problem is on the nvr side.

wapaper59

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I'll see what I can do. Thanks.
I finally got the Dahua Config Tool software on my laptop. And you are right. The IP address of the Dahua camera is currently 192.168.1.108. But the port is 37777 for the camera while the ports for my NVR are 8000 and I can't seem to change the port settings for the camera. So, my NVR still doesn't see the camera. Uggghh!