How do I view SD recordings from just the SD card?

Mosquito

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there. Sorry I'm really new to this security camera stuff.

I bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-I (Without Wifi) to use as a standalone camera that records to a SD card. The venue being monitored has no network, wifi, or computers.

The plan was if anything looked suspicious, we can pop the SD card out of the camera, take it home and view the footage. (I just assumed it would be like a normal camera or dashcam. (Files just stored in mp4.)

I set the camera up over ethernet, and have it all working. But I can't for the life of me work out how I can view the footage from just the SD card - it seems hikvision use a proprietary file system. If I take the whole camera home and plug it in via ethernet I can see the footage via the web browser, but this isn't ideal, especially as I'm not going to be the one monitoring the footage and it needs to be pretty straight forward.

I searched it up and apparently there was some software by Hikvision called "Local Playback" that enabled you to view the footage straight from the SD card. However, it doesn't appear to be in existance anymore. (or I just can't find it)

So is there a way to view the footage from just the SD card? Or have I bought the wrong camera for the job.

Thanks for your time.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe I have seen a download for “local playback” (or something like that) I will see if I can find it and link you to it. Otherwise, your options are to use the camera like you discovered already, or get yourself an NVR that manages all this for you!

Gul-Dukat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you tried the "Remote Backup" option which is contained withing the Hikvision Tools (V1.2.1.2) program?

DOWNLOAD PORTAL

At the bottom of the screen, when you hover the mouse over the Remote Backup icon the text displays the following; Ive not personally used or even tried it but might be worth a look.

Remote Backup: backup and record files stored in the SATA hard disk of remote DVR/NVR and DVS, and in the SD card of network camera and dome

Attachments

Mosquito

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks - that tool app, appears to have "local playback" in it.. (It's one of the icons in your photo) I don't have the sd card with me to check it.. but will test it out and report back. Thanks again!

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Might be worth grabbing the format converter tool as well if you see it in the download portal, Hik vid files dont play well on Pc`s so use there tool which is a bit odd but works, to change the files into something more Pc friendly

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem playing the video on a pc... just need to install the proper codec

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just down loaded this tool this morning before work had a quick look
It wouldn’t load up what’s on the network does it have to be added to the iVMS client? Will have a play around tonight see what the go is

Gul-Dukat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Might be worth grabbing the format converter tool as well if you see it in the download portal, Hik vid files dont play well on Pc`s so use there tool which is a bit odd but works, to change the files into something more Pc friendly
i think you will find that hik use a modified (custom) h264 (& probably h265) implementation so they can be compliant with some law enforcement requirements for tampering or manipulation checks of the stream vision and audio (if applicable). some players dont like this "extra" data within the stream and it shows as jerky playback of other gremlins