How do you connect rj45 with Cat6 or Cat7?

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

I think I need something like that:

Any advice will be appreciated.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMHO, if you must use CAT-6a, are in an industrial setting, leave your cables unplugged in a very dusty environment and either have LOTS of money (3M stuff is great but in can be expensive) OR are only installing a couple of these, then by all means, go for it.

In most instances, properly chosen unshielded CAT-5e cable (solid copper, no CCA) suited for the application (riser, plenum, outdoor, etc.), properly terminated to T-568 specs, deployed in a typical, non-industrial IP cam environment and part of a gigabit local network is VERY sufficient.

If you are concerned about either static (i.e., lightning) or EMI/RFI in the installation environment, then use shielded CAT-5e and shielded RJ-45 connectors, properly installed and grounded.

Just my opinion.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like these run about $30 per jack.

Keep in mind, Gigabit Ethernet was designed to run on most Cat 5 UTP cable. So, like Tony said, Cat 5e is all that's needed for most people with today's networks. And people recommend Cat 6 on here because the slightly larger gauge wire (23 vs 24) is better for long runs of PoE.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

I think I need something like that:

Any advice will be appreciated.
Hi Roye,

Do you have a dusty setup?

If you have unused jacks you can just put a piece of tape over the jack to keep the dust out - super affordable option.

If you're looking to install Cat6A but do not need the expensive jack you can probably use Cat6 jacks for cheaper - and upgrade any jacks you need latter when they become more affordable.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.