How do you use your dedicated PC for Blue Iris

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
New to cctv, I'm currently on a Hikvision NVR route, how long remains to be seen. From initial trials I've experienced the constraints of a Hikvision system. There's limited flexibility to use other makes of cameras, there's a camera subnet, removing cameras from the configuration could be far better, next I suspect will be limited control over zones and alerts. A user seems to have to fit to a Hikvision system rather than being fully in control.

Instead how do you run your dedicated BI PC, where sited, a cameras display in every room perhaps, how do you receive BI alerts, and anything you think important I have missed out about the physical set up.

Current my Hikvision NVR is on the LAN, W10 iVMS handles the camera management, all cameras on a subnet, so too a network switch, switch feeds NVR and mains TP-Link. Any room TV in my house will be able to display the cctv cameras using Raspberry Pis. My Linux based PC's, wifi and wired Ethernet have VLC. The Hikvision NVR was cheap compared against a reasonably fast Intel CPU PC with BI, and probably more reliable 24/7, and using less power. The TP-Link works here, has two Ethernet sockets so at any mains outset can have LAN or subnet available. I'm already factoring in the flexibility to move the NVR away from the loft in hot weather, even here in the UK.

If I adopt a BI PC instead of the Hikvision NVR I'll need more information. Most of help here and on youtube focusses on how to use BI software.This is more a nuts and bolts question about running a BI based system.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns.
I don't need to be convinced about the benefits of a system based around Blue Iris
I'd previously downloaded Cliff Notes and had another look at the BI section after your post.

I assume you have a dedicated PC for BI, where have you sited it?
Do you use Google Remote Desktop or use some other approach?
Have you two separate networks as suggested?
How do you display the output from BI, just in one room, plus mobile option perhaps?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have my BI PC connected to the networks with an addition NIC card, So i connect to two local networks. One is my internal home network that is connected to the ASUS router. The Other nic card is connected to the switch that is connected to my cameras. This prevent the cameras from ever seeing the internet. The cameras do not use WIFI.

I have never firmware upgraded my cameras, I see no need.

I use UI3 to connect to the BI PC when connecting via a PC or tablet. I use the BI APP when connection via an Android phone.

I have a VPN configured in the ASUS router for remote secure access to my network.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns.
I don't need to be convinced about the benefits of a system based around Blue Iris
I'd previously downloaded Cliff Notes and had another look at the BI section after your post.

I assume you have a dedicated PC for BI, where have you sited it?
Do you use Google Remote Desktop or use some other approach?
Have you two separate networks as suggested?
How do you display the output from BI, just in one room, plus mobile option perhaps?
1-yes, in my home office
2-mouse and monitor when in office, UI3 from laptop, BI app on android tablet or TinyCam Pro
3-No, I have managed switch with Vlans.
4-see 2

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a KVM switch on my desk for working on PCs so I added the BI PC to that. I also have it accessible via TeamViewer. The BI PC sits on a little shelf under the desk, behind the canned air dusters and packing tape.

I have a managed switch, VLANs, and a router/firewall regulating traffic between subnets. The BI PC and all of the cameras are on their own subnet. I have the firewall configured so that I can reach into the camera/BI subnet from my private subnet, but they cannot reach out. This way, I can access BI or any of the cameras from my PCs or phone for monitoring or configuration as if they were on the same subnet.