How does my Hikvision Camera System Look?

Jason0212

n3wb
Reaction score
Preface: I've spent somewhere between 25-30 hours researching security camera systems, brands, camera types, etc. Like many of you I don't want to waste $$ on a crappy overpriced system. I've decided that Hikvision Grey Market Cameras from Ali Express are a good option. This system will be used to help secure a residential townhome. I have above average / moderate IT skills. I plan to start with 4 cameras and expand to 8.

I will be purchasing from the Xinray Ali Express store that has been recommended on this forum as well as Reddit's CCTV subredit. (XinRay Store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group)

I believe this NVR is ideal for up to 8 Cameras $199 (link) : HIK NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH POE
It can hold up to 2 (6 TB) Sata drives

For my front door camera $85.12 (Link) :

Dome Camera DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 4MP POE IP
I believe this is a good front door camera because it is more tamper proof than a bullet camera, I don't have issues with low light, and it has audio/alarm feature.

My other three cameras $76.00 (Link):
HIK IP Camera DS-2CD2042WD-I Full HD 4MP

Total cost not including cables, SATA drives, and misc expenses : $512.12

I would appreciate it if I could get some people to play devils advocate and point out any flaws or things I missed or should consider before ordering. I know shipping back to china is costly and can be a pain.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to being an active member of this community.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
HIK NVR DS-7608NI-E2/8P 8CH POE
That's quite an old model now, and lacks some of the features you may want to get use of going forward, such as h.265 support, higher-resolution cameras, faster operation, still-developing firmware that the newer models have.
Dome Camera DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 4MP POE IP
The turret format has advantages over the dome format in that there are fewer problems with lens flare, IR reflections, and water spots.
Though it doesn't have audio facilities.
And, as you imply, the low-light capability isn't that good.
Worth looking at may be the ultra-low light models such as the DS-2CD2335FWD.
An aspect you may not have considered is that a low-light capable camera will give less motion blur, and hence a more detailed image, of a moving object or person at night.

*edit*
My other three cameras $76.00 (Link): HIK IP Camera DS-2CD2042WD-I Full HD 4MP
Bullets are very prone to unwanted motion alerts due to spider webs - you'd find yourself clearing them every day in the summer - really annoying. That's why I swapped all my bullets for turrets!

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"Bullets are very prone to unwanted motion alerts due to spider webs - you'd find yourself clearing them every day in the summer - really annoying. That's why I swapped all my bullets for turrets!"

Agree with alastair. I had 8 bullets and replaced 3 with domes. The domes never "spiderweb" in summer but the other 5 bullets I find I'm continually clearing spiderwebs off.

munkiep

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i read somewhere about using petroleum jelly at the base of a bullet camera to prevent spiders from nesting around it... any input?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
i read somewhere about using petroleum jelly at the base of a bullet camera to prevent spiders from nesting around it
I did try a few things like that - including mozzi bands - but they were very quickly ineffective.
Turrets, though, are fine.
And their EXIR LEDs are superior, and reliable.

Jason0212

n3wb
Reaction score
That's quite an old model now, and lacks some of the features you may want to get use of going forward, such as h.265 support, higher-resolution cameras, faster operation, still-developing firmware that the newer models have.
Wow nice save there. I didn't realize there was a new model. This Hik DS-7608NI-I2/8P for $285.60 definitely seems the way to go.

So after reading the above comments and doing more research on this forum it looks like people like the low light DS-2CD2335FWD turret cameras.

Are the 4MP (DS-2CD2342WD-I) turret cam's also considered low light?
It seems like the general consensus is that Turrets are better than dome's or bullets, especially if you have issues with bugs/spider webs and utilize motion activated recording.

One thing about my situation is that the front door camera I will be installing is right at 7ft, just above the door frame making it very easy for someone to put there hands on. Looking at a bullet camera's design it looks very easy to grab, twist, and break off. Given that I / We already have issued with package theft and the high volume of foot traffic in our townhome complex, making my camera tamper resistant is a big focus. The obvious answer is raise the height of the camera, but the problem with that is you won't get a good face shot as someone walks towards the front door.

As always I appreciate everyone's feed back. I hope to make a vido of the install and a summary of all my research in a blog post eventually.

Quick side note. Can any forum Veterans let me know if linking to stores/outside websites is frowned upon? I linked various things in my original post so as to be as specific as possible but don't want to come across as spamming or promoting. Cheers.

Jason0212

n3wb
Reaction score
Not advertised as such, but still quite good.
The specs show 0.01 lux with the misleading f1.2 aperture : DS-2CD2342WD-I - Hikvision UK & Ireland
The DS-2CD2335FWD specs show 0.005 lux with f1.2 : DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision UK & Ireland
First, let me say thank you. You've helped me from making some very novice mistakes.
I had to do some research on lux and found this article quite helpful.
It appears the "The DS-2CD2335FWD specs show 0.005 lux with f1.2 : DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision UK & Ireland" is twice as good.

Interestingly, the DS-2CD2042WD-I bullet cam's also show a 0.01 lux with a F1.2 aperture.

Reaction score
Don't really have a lot to add, but while I get your concern about vandalism I think any camera (including dome or bullet) that is at a height within reach of a claw hammer or weapon of opportunity on your porch (potted plant etc) could be disabled. I would definitely consider low-lux capabilities, as at least in my neck of the woods everything goes down at night.

Since you are recording to NVR and not just to internal SD, at least setup your camera angle so you can get some good ID shots of the perpetrator right before they do it and maybe even configure the NVR (or camera) to email you photos as it happens!

I will say my limited (1-time) experience with Hikvision was my recent disaster with the Covert cam ($110 bought me the lens, $250 more if I want the camera body/electronics), but hoping you will have better luck with your gray market sellers. Really kicking myself on that deal.

Jason0212

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't really have a lot to add, but while I get your concern about vandalism I think any camera (including dome or bullet) that is at a height within reach of a claw hammer or weapon of opportunity on your porch (potted plant etc) could be disabled. I would definitely consider low-lux capabilities, as at least in my neck of the woods everything goes down at night.

Since you are recording to NVR and not just to internal SD, at least setup your camera angle so you can get some good ID shots of the perpetrator right before they do it and maybe even configure the NVR (or camera) to email you photos as it happens!

I will say my limited (1-time) experience with Hikvision was my recent disaster with the Covert cam ($110 bought me the lens, $250 more if I want the camera body/electronics), but hoping you will have better luck with your gray market sellers. Really kicking myself on that deal.
Good advice. My main reason for this system is a deterrent but in the event something does happen a recording would sure help. In fact a recording is really the only chance you have to get any justice. I know this forum mainly recommends Dahua and reddit leans more towards HIkvision. As far as gray market goes, I think so long as we do our research it's worth the risk. As i'm sure many are aware, the only way to purchase Hikvision products is through a certified tech who is going to up charge or BH Photo which is selling the HIK IP Camera DS-2CD2042WD-I Full HD 4MP for $263 with tax. That's 3.5 X more and is pretty much the case across the board for Hik products. As others have already done, I will verify the product I get is the correct thing and report back.