How Does Remote Viewing Work With Dlink?

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 5 Dahua cameras and 1 Ipcamtalk camera on my BlueIris software. Unfortunately I have satellite internet and cannot easily remotely view my cameras. Long story short, A friend suggested I try a Dlink camera. It was extremely easy to setup with the wps button and I can view it remotely.
I do not have any dlink subscription or cloud setup, but I see it fine away from my LAN.
Unrelated, but I can also access my firetv recast box remotely and watch tv away from my LAN. Just trying to figure out how some things work outside my LAN, but there isn't a convenient way to remotely view my other cameras.
I have tried vpn, but wasn't happy with that.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you scanned a QR code or entered a UID number with that DLink, then it's using P2P (Point to Point) and you ARE connecting with their cloud (server), subscription or not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 5 Dahua cameras and 1 Ipcamtalk camera on my BlueIris software. Unfortunately I have satellite internet and cannot easily remotely view my cameras. Long story short, A friend suggested I try a Dlink camera. It was extremely easy to setup with the wps button and I can view it remotely.
I do not have any dlink subscription or cloud setup, but I see it fine away from my LAN.
Unrelated, but I can also access my firetv recast box remotely and watch tv away from my LAN. Just trying to figure out how some things work outside my LAN, but there isn't a convenient way to remotely view my other cameras.
I have tried vpn, but wasn't happy with that.
The dlink is utter garbage and you are now using unsecure p2p to view your cameras remotely.
If you wanted to do that with blue iris you could have easily used ngrok to make it happen. I dont think you used vpn. What does "not happy with that" mean.
You can also use unsecure p2p with your dahua and ipcamtalk camera but it would be foolish.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used LogMeIn. I wasn't happy because my wife was the main person that needed to view the cameras live ( farm animals) and she needed something simple like the BlueIris App. Also, when I would log in and exit it would not allow me to log in again until I restarted the computer. Never figured that out, but I didn't like it anyway.
What is foolish about ptp? Is it just the risk of someone seeing my cameras or is it something more serious? I'm not really concerned about someone seeing my cameras.
Not doubting Dlink is garbage, just surprised it worked so easily.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I used LogMeIn. I wasn't happy because my wife was the main person that needed to view the cameras live ( farm animals) and she needed something simple like the BlueIris App. Also, when I would log in and exit it would not allow me to log in again until I restarted the computer. Never figured that out, but I didn't like it anyway.
What is foolish about ptp? Is it just the risk of someone seeing my cameras or is it something more serious? I'm not really concerned about someone seeing my cameras.
Not doubting Dlink is garbage, just surprised it worked so easily.
Then you didnt use vpn. Logmein is not vpn. Regardless, you cannot use standard vpn because you dont an publicly addresseable ip.
Ngrok would solve this.
You are confused - dahua and hik/ipct both have this "easy" p2p. You didnt need to go to dlink for it Its not secure. Your network is not secure, not just the camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once they gain access to your network via hack or backdoor, then they can install malware on one or more network devices on your LAN and use YOUR devices as bots to initiate DoS (Denial of Service) to you and others.