How effective is Blue Iris for motion/audio activated video recording?

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Hikvision/Dahua surveillance setup with audio to record barking dogs and some reoccurring vandalism happening in our neighborhood and would like to know how effective Blue Iris would be in these situations? For motion activated recording in the instance of a car driving by would the motion activation take a certain time to activate to the point where you're not getting footage of the moving vehicle the instant it within viewing range? Would the same go for audio where say the sharp report of a dogs bark might initially start the recording but not actually capture the brief bark unless the barking continued for some time?

Is there a set amount of time where the recording would continue after triggered be either motion or audio such as a 10 second window before stopping to record? How exactly does the motion and audio activation work as iirc cameras with built in motion activated recording use infra red sensors to detect heat, how does Blue Iris work in this aspect? Can I expect reliable and accurate recordings for my purposes?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
blue iris lets you record pretrigger frames so you dont miss any of the action. Very few cameras have motion sensors...most use pixel based motion detection, which is what blue iris uses. You can set blue iris to record as long as you wish after motion is triggered.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simply record 24/7/365 and you are guaranteed to get all activity..

Motion Activated Recording is an outdated function left over from the days when hard drives were measured in Gigabytes and not Terabytes...

Reaction score
blue iris lets you record pretrigger frames so you dont miss any of the action. Very few cameras have motion sensors...most use pixel based motion detection, which is what blue iris uses. You can set blue iris to record as long as you wish after motion is triggered.
Pixel based motion detection I see, would you say it's more accurate than heat based motion detection? I wonder how sensitive the audio detection is, would a crow cawing set it off? I'd imagine it would which would be pretty annoying but I don't see the software being able to single out a dogs bark over other similarly loud noises. Nice to know blue iris is highly customizable.

Simply record 24/7/365 and you are guaranteed to get all activity..

Motion Activated Recording is an outdated function left over from the days when hard drives were measured in Gigabytes and not Terabytes...
My only concern with recording 24/7/365 is that I wouldn't know the specific times the neighborhood dogs were barking since I would have to review the compiled footage when I returned home correct? The motion/sound activation was attractive to me since it would only record those instances and would be much easier to review. It sounds like I'll need a terabyte drive to record to if going the PC route? Does this have any advantages over DVR recording?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
PIR motion is more accurate if you are trying to record a human walking near a sensor...with pixel based detection you can detect at greater distances..if you want to use pir your will need to install a PIR sensor and connect it to a camera that has an alarm in..to use it with blue iris it would need to be a hikvision with and alarm in/out....-IS models..
No you cannot differentiate between different animals...you can set a threshold.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't find BI reliable enough to warrant using it as my soul source of recording... so I opted to get a cheap EyeSurv NVR for 24x7 recording, and then use BI for my motion events... I'd say on average even after 3 months of tweaking that BI is only 45%-65% reliable on motion when it truly counts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't find BI reliable enough to warrant using it as my soul source of recording... so I opted to get a cheap EyeSurv NVR for 24x7 recording, and then use BI for my motion events... I'd say on average even after 3 months of tweaking that BI is only 45%-65% reliable on motion when it truly counts.
This is user error...blue iris is 100 percent reliable.....I have over 20 machines actively recording many cameras..Never had an event been missed. Setting the threshold too high (size, contrast, make time, etc) is a common cause to this problem as well as using object detect reject setting color or brightness only...

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman with all due respect, I even provided you with my settings and we still couldn't get reliability. So I'm respectfully disagreeing with your commentary of the motion detection being 100% reliable. BI is a great product don't get me wrong, but it most certainly is NOT 100% reliable, or the forums wouldn't be filled with people having issues with it. You most certainly without a doubt are the most knowledgeable person on here about BI, and are a huge asset to us all.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman with all due respect, I even provided you with my settings and we still couldn't get reliability. So I'm respectfully disagreeing with your commentary of the motion detection being 100% reliable. BI is a great product don't get me wrong, but it most certainly is NOT 100% reliable, or the forums wouldn't be filled with people having issues with it. You most certainly without a doubt are the most knowledgeable person on here about BI, and are a huge asset to us all.
Yes and I explained that you had the settings too high. You the further the distance of the motion from the cameras position, the lower the threshold has to be as it measure the changes to pixels. This is true with any pixel based motion detection.