How Far Can Router be from POE Switch

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is my first post, awesome information in these forums about IP cameras, and installation.

My Linksys EA7500 router is on the 1st floor. I would like to connect an 8 port poe switch installed in the basement to the router. Is there a limitation on how long cat5e cable should be between router and poe switch?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is my first post, awesome information in these forums about IP cameras, and installation.

My Linksys EA7500 router is on the 1st floor. I would like to connect an 8 port poe switch installed in the basement to the router. Is there a limitation on how long cat5e cable should be between router and poe switch?
Using quality CAT 5 Cabling, good wiring practices and no EMI problems, the maximum recommended transmission line length between nodes for 10BaseT and 100TX is 100 Meters (about 329 feet). For Gigabit wiring using 1000BaseT operating at 350MHz, the limitation is 82 feet.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With quality Cat6 cabling GigE maximums are the same 100M..

and then of course the specifications have been known to stretch quite a bit longer than that, and they also make hardware to extend the range beyond normal if needed.. but 100M is a very long run for most residences unless your connecting buildings.. then you use fiber-optics.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your fast replies!

One more question at this time. Currently I am in the planning stage of my home security camera system which will have 4 IP POE cameras. 2 runs from POE switch will be 40 meters to cam, the other 2 will be 10 meter runs to cam. Which POE switch would you recommend that could handle 4 POE cams and will have future expansion capabilities? The 8 port POE switch which a salesman was trying to sell me in reality had only 4 POE switches, the other 4 were not.