How far for a ptz over cat6e

Danj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey team , need to run a camera out to my gate way it is 120 metres wanting to use a ptz as to look down the road as well as up the driveway , what is the maximum length cable I can use , I hear a lot about 100metres max but would 20more metres degrade the signal that much , has anybody run over 100 and still use it effectively.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
good idea to look up and down the driveway, but do it with 2 cams instead of a single PTZ, which can only look in one direction at a time.
if you've gone to all the trouble of running an ethernet 400ft, installing 2 or more cams at that end is minimal extra cost/effort...
as for the distance (somewhat exceeding the 100m/300ft 'rated' limit of cat5/6) it'll be fine.
just my 2c...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
voltage drop shouldn't be an issue. This is why PoE operates at 48V...

Danj

n3wb
Reaction score
good idea to look up and down the driveway, but do it with 2 cams instead of a single PTZ, which can only look in one direction at a time.
if you've gone to all the trouble of running an ethernet 400ft, installing 2 or more cams at that end is minimal extra cost/effort...
as for the distance (somewhat exceeding the 100m/300ft 'rated' limit of cat5/6) it'll be fine.
just my 2c...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, you'd need a poe-powered switch at the far end, ie, a switch that is itself powered by the PoE as well as passing it along to the cam(s), like:
4 Ports PoE Extender 10/100M Up to For Network AP IP Camera Telephone Equipment 612046379974 | eBay (have used this!)
Amazon.com: LINOVISION Mini Passive 2 Port POE Switch, IEEE 802.3af/at POE Extender, POE Repeater, Ethernet Splitter, Powering 2 POE Devices (IP Camera) Over One Cat5/6 Cable: Computers & Accessories (2 port) (have not used this one)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.