How far from Romex can I place PoE switch/ run unshielded Cat6?

beardog

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know that shielded cable is HIGHLY Recommended, Especially near electrical runs.

I chose not to buy shielded cable because my initial runs were not supposed to go anywhere near electircal runs.

Fast-Forward to today and now I need to run cable through a very specific point in my rim joist. It needs to exit into a perpendicular framed wall that is the "breeze-way" which attaches my house to my garage.

I was thinking of mounting a PoE switch to a floor joist in my basement ceiling and running the cables right out the Rim Joist at said specific location.

There is 14/2 Romex for basement lights I installed about 16 inches away on adjacent floor joist where switch will be mounted.

My real concern is, There are about 4 runs of 12/2 Romex for Kitchen Branch Circuits that run along the Sil-Plate about 8" Inches away from where the Cat would enter the Rim Joist.

So the closest the cable will get to electrical runs would be 8" and it would cross it Perpendicular. I have attached a photo.

The gray pen is the proposed entrance/exit through the rim joist and the Bright Orange sticker is the proposed placement of the PoE Switch.

Please only comment if you know what you are talking about. And once again, I know I should have used shielded cable.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will be more than fine at 8" away...

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agreed, a perpendicular run is not a issue, especially 8 inches away.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep fine...I have runs closer than that and parallel at times and it's fine too.

nando

n3wb
Reaction score
^ What they all said.. From a data perspective, perpendicular runs are fine even if they physically touch. What you don't want are parallel runs that are too close for too long. Even then it's possible that you won't notice a problem. I have 4 cat6 lines going to my family room and I'm sure I have 3-4 spots where they are laying on top of some romex wires heading to the circuit panel. They've been like that for almost a year and I haven't noticed any issues.. But I've also only streamed videos and played video games from them.