How i can change mac Address for ds-2cd2t42wd

yasser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 5 ds-2cd2t42wd cameras that have crashed and after maintenance I need to reprogram the bios, is there any way to change mac Address?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 5 ds-2cd2t42wd cameras that have crashed and after maintenance I need to reprogram the bios
Did you re-write the flash memory and duplicate the MAC address as a consequence?

The MAC address is held in the same protected storage as the model number, serial number, options list etc which as far as I know in an R6-series camera is in the WatchData security chip.

For an R0-series camera, the MAC address is in a flash partition and can be manipulated with an 'MTD hack'.

yasser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you re-write the flash memory and duplicate the MAC address as a consequence?
yes

The MAC address is held in the same protected storage as the model number, serial number, options list etc which as far as I know in an R6-series camera is in the WatchData security chip.

For an R0-series camera, the MAC address is in a flash partition and can be manipulated with an 'MTD hack'.
You mean that there is no way?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean that there is no way?
If re-writing the flash chip was the cause of the problem - you could search the flash image for the location of the problem MAC address, and make a change, and re-write the camera with the changed flash image.

yasser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If re-writing the flash chip was the cause of the problem - you could search the flash image for the location of the problem MAC address, and make a change, and re-write the camera with the changed flash image.
I am sorry but I did not understand what you mean.

What I did was use HxD program then replace the MAC to MAC that i want,but the camera did not work good, in SADP There are two cameras, one in old Mac and the other with new MAC which i modified and the NVR not add it.

I am sorry i am not very good in english :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What I did was use HxD program then replace the MAC to MAC that i want,
You would usually also need to alter the checksum bytes if you alter the MAC address bytes.
If you do not - the camera will bootloop.

Unless you change one byte of the MAC address up and another byte of the MAC address down by the same amount (for example just by 1) in which case no change is needed to the checksum bytes.

I am sorry i am not very good in english
You are doing OK there!

yasser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand what you mean, thank you very much.

I will try

yasser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You would usually also need to alter the checksum bytes if you alter the MAC address bytes.
If you do not - the camera will bootloop.

Unless you change one byte of the MAC address up and another byte of the MAC address down by the same amount (for example just by 1) in which case no change is needed to the checksum bytes.
It not work,I saw in SADP two camera one in new MAC and the ather in old MAC

jangra

n3wb
Reaction score
I have same problem .after replace the firmware flash dump my dvr mac address and serial number has change...do you have any solution.pls reply

ibm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, engineer, I also have a hikvision 2cd42wd-i8 camera that needs to change the mac address, please tell me with what software and how to do it, please.