how I created heartbeat on BI machine to be monitored in cloud for downtime

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe reinventing the wheel, but I've been searching this site and online in general for a way to get notified if my BI computer goes down (without needing another computer/device on same network).

Finally, found honeybadger.io that has a limited free account setup for monitoring. I created a "check-in" service on honeybadger that watches for a heartbeat at whatever interval you want, down to 1 minute, and sends either/both an email/text alert if the heartbeat isn't detected.

Using a curl API command on my BI machine setup as a "cron" in Task Scheduler to contact honeybadger on schedule.

Tested, and works well. Easy to setup. I've seen other similar cloud monitoring services, but this one was the first I could find that had an easy explicit way to set up a heartbeat on a local machine, and was FREE...

Anyway, just FYI as a fairly simple solution...

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But that requires port forwarding... I thought those were dirty words in this forum? ;)

"Ex: 80 (If monitoring Blue Iris, use the web server port specified in settings. Port forwarding must be enabled)"

With this solution, I don't have to port forward, and am pushing out something rather than having it pulled or polled from an outside source...

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But that requires port forwarding... I thought those were dirty words in this forum? ;)
Yours is better because the BI server is contacting the www server. So its an https request, or a TLS/mysql com remote port connect (depends on how you want to do it).
I don't know, maybe they don't understand how to do the remote cloud negotiation. That is why they just have an encoding server that requires port opens or vpn for remote access. I've been busy with more important things in the world currently, but when I get board, I'll write a remote connect API like an NVR has.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using a curl API command on my BI machine setup as a "cron" in Task Scheduler to contact honeybadger on schedule.
Care to share that curl API?

I'm using curl in BI now to utilize the Pushover API to notify me when certain things occur in BI.

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sure... of course you have to create an account on honeybadger, then get your token, they give examples of other ways to use their services. (I only use the "check_in" service)

curl "your token"

Ok... some feature keeps changing my api text to a hot url, which I don't want...

Anyway, after the "/check_in/", you add your personal token...

Last edited: