How I got my Nestcam to work in Blue Iris

mb520205

n3wb
Reaction score
I wish I would have found this yesterday. I had to spend several hours, but finally figured it out. I made a step by step as well. Good job. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with this solution is that it constantly streams your nestcam, upload then download 24/7...nestcam is simply designed to be used like this.

fleetmack

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem with this solution is that it constantly streams your nestcam, upload then download 24/7...nestcam is simply designed to be used like this.
Sad, but very true. All IP cams can be network hogs, as we all know, and this solution certainly doesn't help it, but it does get it integrated with BI, which is all I was trying to show.

I'm new to BI, so am not sure if there's a way to modify this further or not. I haven't yet investigated how long it takes to boot up a Nestcam, but I was debating plugging in a smart plug, and then linking that to a z-wave motion sensor so when the motion sensor is set off, it turns on power to the camera. but if the camera takes a while to boot, that kind of defeats the purpose.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sad, but very true. All IP cams can be network hogs, as we all know, and this solution certainly doesn't help it, but it does get it integrated with BI, which is all I was trying to show.

I'm new to BI, so am not sure if there's a way to modify this further or not. I haven't yet investigated how long it takes to boot up a Nestcam, but I was debating plugging in a smart plug, and then linking that to a z-wave motion sensor so when the motion sensor is set off, it turns on power to the camera. but if the camera takes a while to boot, that kind of defeats the purpose.
Booting it up will take too long. IP cameras dont hog/use internet bandwidth...some isp's have data limits so this adds to it.... IP cameras on a home lan are a non issue there is no way to saturate a gigabit network in a home setup.

JimMac

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for this post, got the nest cams into blue iris, but what kind of frame rate should I expect. I keep seeing the yellow ! icon. Any tricks to improving that with only 20% cpu.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this post, got the nest cams into blue iris, but what kind of frame rate should I expect. I keep seeing the yellow ! icon. Any tricks to improving that with only 20% cpu.
feeding nest to BI requires the nest cam to send the feed to the cloud then BI pulls it back down..this is very inefficient - this is forced by nest to prevent use with third party software..they dont support standards like rtsp or onvif..your internet speeds will affect your fps...this also hogs bandwidth...sell the nest and replace with a proper ip camera.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is cool, and easy to set up. Unfortunately, I will not have my Nest (doorbell) streaming and not pw protected. Hopefully the share stream with pw version of nest streaming will one day be supported.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been using the new Camect device. It works seemlessly with my Nest doorbell. Did not need to set up a stream (neither pw protected or not) like above. Just logged in with my Nest credentials. It would be really nice if BI supported this, or at a minimum, a PW protected stream.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been using the new Camect device. It works seemlessly with my Nest doorbell. Did not need to set up a stream (neither pw protected or not) like above. Just logged in with my Nest credentials. It would be really nice if BI supported this, or at a minimum, a PW protected stream.
You should email support and ask for it. As usual, with nest they can and will break it anytime they wish, and furthermore the stream is constantly uploaded then downloaded from their cloud servers wasting lots of data/bandwidth.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You should email support and ask for it. As usual, with nest they can and will break it anytime they wish, and furthermore the stream is constantly uploaded then downloaded from their cloud servers wasting lots of data/bandwidth.
I will. Understood that nest can break it at any point. In terms of bandwidth, I have enough overhead for this.

I didn't realize how nice it is to see the doorbell cam with the onvif cams. AI motion detection and all.