How Important Is An SSD

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What benefit does a ssd make? My PC is only used for Blue Iris? Would a Intel Optane Memory Accelerator make any difference?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
.Any new pc I touch whether for BI or general use gets an ssd.
Same with me. Between my own systems and those of friends, I've installed about 10 of them. I don't know how it impacts BI once it's up and running, but just in general everything is snappier. IMO it's the most cost effective single improvement you can make to a system. Personally, I stick with either Intel or Samsung. I don't really know if they're better than those that cost less. It's just that I know they work well and it's not worth a few bucks to me to stray from what have confidence in.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Same with me. Between my own systems and those of friends, I've installed about 10 of them. I don't know how it impacts BI once it's up and running, but just in general everything is snappier. IMO it's the most cost effective single improvement you can make to a system. Personally, I stick with either Intel or Samsung. I don't really know if they're better than those that cost less. It's just that I know they work well and it's not worth a few bucks to me to stray from what have confidence in.
I've been using the crucial m/mx series, Intel, and Samsung... all great...I stay away from the cheap stuff....most folks waste money and buy new PC's for general use when their old PC with SSD will be 5x faster than their new PC with a spinner..

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What benefit does a ssd make? My PC is only used for Blue Iris? Would a Intel Optane Memory Accelerator make any difference?
Optane Memory "accelerator" is definitely not necessary unless you are doing a lot of random drive access. Since video streams are sequential the Optane won't help, especially if you are already running an SSD. If you are building the system for BI only I would suggest going with a larger size 850 Evo vs something like an M.2 960, however if performance is your primary goal then go with the 960.

In any case once the system is up and running you really aren't going to see much benefit unless you are using a larger number of cameras. You'll also want to think about going larger then you need storage wise since SSD's will degrade over time and additional space will essentially extend the life expectancy of the drive. In real world use though I doubt you'll have to worry about it unless you rotate video streams a lot (ie continuous storage of high data rate streams that you rotate often.)

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
its not necessary but it makes for a much better experience...for 60-70 dollars get it...Any new pc I touch whether for BI or general use gets an ssd.
In what way is it a better experience?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I find updates are faster, reboots are faster.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Every situation is different, but for an example I set up an i5 win 7 machine last month. The ~45 seconds boot time went down to about 15 seconds with the ssd. In a laptop, the difference is greater because the laptop drives are slower, and the ssd draws less battery power.