How is 4.3.2.0 So Far?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see there's a new update with HA updates, other enhancements and bug fixes. Is it running stable? Any benefit to CPU usage with the HA update?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see there's a new update with HA updates, other enhancements and bug fixes. Is it running stable? Any benefit to CPU usage with the HA update?
4.3.2 - April 12, 2016

• The Intel hardware decoding on Options/Cameras now has become a drop list was an additional choice, either No, Yes, or Yes with Video Post Processing (VPP). The new setting additionally moves the post-decode color space conversion from NV12 to RGB32 into hardware as possible. In a benchmark test of 12 cameras (a mix of 2MP, 720p and several SD) processing 1.9 MB/s of video, the average 25% CPU usage becomes 20% with just the hardware decoding, but is further lowered to 16% when VPP is added, for a total reduction on CPU demand of 36%. With fewer cameras and bandwidth, the gains are even more dramatic (50% or more). With higher demands however, perhaps with more than 20 cameras and 3MB/s, the performance advantage of adding VPP becomes negligible, and may actually being to worsen performance as the CPU's ability to perform video tasks becomes the bottleneck over CPU cycles. For this reason, you may choose to use hardware decoding with or without VPP on a per camera basis, perhaps to assist with your most demanding resolution and frame rate cameras.
  • The camera specific Intel hardware decoding selection has moved to the Video tab in camera properties. You may choose to use the default as set on Options/Cameras or any specific setting.
  • If you are using hardware decoding with a particular camera, hardware decoding is now also used by the BVR playback engine whether in the local viewer or remote client.
  • The preparation for the addition of hardware VPP required extensive revision of how video frames are formatted internally. If you notice an instance where a video frame is upside down where it should not be, my apologies--please notify the developer of this.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I updated--I enabled VPP for all my Hikvision cameras (5)...CPU usage is down from about 19% to 13% which is great! GPU-Z shows an increase in GPU load from about 17% to 55%, which is also great! This all after I installed the update and rebooted the computer.

Negatives: increase in my laptop fan speed (will have to check other power settings).

Exported a bvr from a d2d recording to a reencoded MP4 format and got the upside down video as was mentioned. Notified support.

FYI, this update did not address (as far as I can tell), the .bvr stuttering that's been discussed in other threads.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated. I am seeing no benefit at all from the VPP feature.

I'm running an i7-3770k with 20 cameras, average 3 megapixels at about 10 FPS. This normally runs about 50% CPU and 20% GPU load with the local viewer open.

First I tried turning VPP on by default, then I restarted the Blue Iris service to make it take effect. Blueiris.exe CPU usage went to about 90%, and system responsiveness got a lot worse.

So I turned off VPP and restarted Blue Iris again. Then I turned on VPP for one camera at a time, and after the third camera the system responsiveness started getting bad again. CPU and GPU usage seemed unaffected, and remained around 50% / 20% as is normal.

I'm not really sure what to make of these results.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very strange. At least it's working for you guys. When I turn on VPP, 10 of my 11 cams show nothing but a black screen. Tried a restart. Nothing. Then a reboot. Still nothing. I turned off VPP and all the cams come back on correctly. For kicks, I turned it on for just a single cam. That cam went to a black screen.

I must be doing something wrong, but I don't have a clue what, so... for now at least, I'm leaving VPP off...

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I should have added that I am not running BI as a service. Also, I do keep the local viewer open.

When I enabled VPP, I went into each camera's settings to add the VPP option....I never did go to Options>Camera to enable it there.....I just did however, rebooted and everything still functions the same as before.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I find these VPP problems funny because colorspace conversion is a much simpler job than h264 decoding, yet the integrated graphics are handling h264 decoding just fine.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't update yet if you use UI2, until everything is ironed out...

This is going to be the HUGE benefit!!!

"If you are using hardware decoding with a particular camera, hardware decoding is now also used by the BVR playback engine whether in the local viewer or remote client. "

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't update yet if you use UI2, until everything is ironed out...

This is going to be the HUGE benefit!!!

"If you are using hardware decoding with a particular camera, hardware decoding is now also used by the BVR playback engine whether in the local viewer or remote client. "
The main bug is fixed in Blue Iris 4.3.2.1 available now. There is still a problem where hardware accelerated 1080p cams have slightly corrupted clip playback, but it isn't a big deal and I'm sure Ken will fix it soon.

Total

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 cameras that are upside down . I'm sure it will be fixed in a next update .. Another question - Where do you turn on VPP ??

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 cameras that are upside down . I'm sure it will be fixed in a next update .. Another question - Where do you turn on VPP ??
blue iris options cameras, hd hardware acceleration...its an option in the dropdown

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
CPU and GPU usage seemed unaffected, and remained around 50% / 20% as is normal.

I'm not really sure what to make of these results.
Apparently GPU-Z was showing me stats for my GTX 950. The Intel graphics (i7-3770k CPU) shows a GPU usage around 22% normally, and when I turned VPP on for a 4MP @ 15fps camera, it went up to 35% and GPU power consumption went from 1.2 watts to 1.6 watts. Enabled VPP on another 4MP @ 15fps camera and usage went to 45% and power consumption to 2 watts. No detectable difference in CPU usage, but that bounces up and down a lot on my system so I could have just missed it.

One thing is for certain though, the more cameras I enable VPP on, the worse my Multiplicity KVM performance gets. That is reason enough to keep it disabled on my box.

ASFx

n3wb
Reaction score
Very strange. At least it's working for you guys. When I turn on VPP, 10 of my 11 cams show nothing but a black screen. Tried a restart. Nothing. Then a reboot. Still nothing. I turned off VPP and all the cams come back on correctly. For kicks, I turned it on for just a single cam. That cam went to a black screen.

I must be doing something wrong, but I don't have a clue what, so... for now at least, I'm leaving VPP off...
The same thing happened to me. Black screens on all my cameras, then everything went back to normal once i turned VPP back off. Im leaving it off for now until more bug fixes come.

Kelxin

n3wb
Reaction score
As far as everyone with the black screen when enabled, it looks like the exact same bug that's been here since the ability to turn on hardware decoding. As it has always been, when Blue Iris is set to run as a background service, none of the cameras show anything when hardware decoding is enabled. You disable either one of those and the cameras work fine. This is actually one of the main features I purchased this software for, and was hoping he would have a fix by now (been waiting 5 months).

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As far as everyone with the black screen when enabled, it looks like the exact same bug that's been here since the ability to turn on hardware decoding. As it has always been, when Blue Iris is set to run as a background service, none of the cameras show anything when hardware decoding is enabled. You disable either one of those and the cameras work fine. This is actually one of the main features I purchased this software for, and was hoping he would have a fix by now (been waiting 5 months).
So based on what you are saying, it sounds like they still have not fixed the ability to run as as service under Windows 7 using HA. This is extremely disappointing because until that is fixed, I can't really update to the latest version.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
HA still doesn't work with my Axis P3364s in Win 7 with BI 4.3.2.1 not running as a service. Huisun and Hik cams work fine with HA enabled until VPP is enabled as well and then all of my cams are blank. Back to HA turned off again. Was really hoping that he'd added Axis support when I saw HA updates mentioned in the release notes.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running BI as a service with HA turned on and everything is fine.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a Win 7 problem. I hear 8 and 10 work fine with HA and BI running as a service.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Running this version I have one camera that will not detect motion from one zone to another no matter what I try.