How is ip camera performance with a 10/100 POE switch?

Reaction score
I have a 16 port rack-mountable 10/100 switch that I was debating on using with my camera setup that goes to a dedicated computer but I was curious to know how the performance and delay timings are for people and if you suggest going with a gigabyte switch? I'm currently running two Agasio A612-POE Outdoor IP Camera with Power Over Ethernet but after spending some more time on here and looking at a lot of threads I might add some Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I to my setup. Will be purchasing Blue Iris after some iSpy testing it looks like.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If its just a couple of cameras you will be fine with a 10/100...
Note the the 2132 is only a two axis camera and cannot be wall mounted if that is your intention (without a large mount)...look at the 2332/3332 turrets.
Dont waste you time with ispy unless you want to pay 8 dollars per month + purchase monthly alerts in perpetuity http://www.ispyconnect.com/pricing.aspx ...unless you dont need remote access or alerts..

dalepa

Reaction score
Each cam will use less that 4Mbit/s, so 100Mbit ports are more than enough bandwidth. But if you want to use POE, you might as well get a 4-8 port POE switch and use it instead of your switch.

This Hik 2132 is ok, but many are opting for the Hik 3332 now days.

Blue Iris is much better than iSPy....

I have a 16 port rack-mountable 10/100 switch that I was debating on using with my camera setup that goes to a dedicated computer but I was curious to know how the performance and delay timings are for people and if you suggest going with a gigabyte switch? I'm currently running two Agasio A612-POE Outdoor IP Camera with Power Over Ethernet but after spending some more time on here and looking at a lot of threads I might add some Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I to my setup. Will be purchasing Blue Iris after some iSpy testing it looks like.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
yikes.. wont bother with iSpy. I was thinking a total of 10 cameras outside. I have the bullet design now and purchased a housing from Lowes. The plan was on the cover plate mount the camera to that and run the wires behind that and run the cat5e into the a splitter or enough where I can wire electrical to that side of the roof overhang.

This Hik 2132 is ok, but many are opting for the Hik 3332 now days.
Do you mind posting a link to which one you're referring to please? After some searches Im getting multiple types of cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Were you going to mount that junction box to the wall or ceiling/soffit?

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought three of those mounts from Amazon for Hiks mounted outside. They work very well and come with cable connectors and water resistant covers for them. They are relatively small so they do not add too much bulk to the overall mount. FWIW, I would recommend them.

sprucecams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just noticed you are mounting on brick. I did too, so to accommodate the uneven surface of the brick I also applied silicone sealant around the where the mount meets the brickwork.