How is it possible that all the Linux DVR software packages are terrible?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What is everyone recommending for a headless Debian 9 server? I played with Zoneminder a bit today, but man it's antiquated. High CPU usage and I couldn't get my Axis PTZ cameras to move at all.

I also played a bit with Bluecherry, but had some install issues I need to figure out. As soon as it installed and I connected my first camera, it immediately began maxing out the CPU. Very strange. I had to kill the process to get it to stop.

It seems most good DVR/PVR surveillance software runs on Windows (e.g. Milestone, Blue Iris, etc...) which is a shame. I guess I can always spin a VM up for and install Windows but I'd rather not have to spend the money for a software license just for that. It also makes storage for the cams a bit trickier since the VM wouldn't reside on the same drive the RAW camera storage would sit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is everyone recommending for a headless Debian 9 server? I played with Zoneminder a bit today, but man it's antiquated. High CPU usage and I couldn't get my Axis PTZ cameras to move at all.

I also played a bit with Bluecherry, but had some install issues I need to figure out. As soon as it installed and I connected my first camera, it immediately began maxing out the CPU. Very strange. I had to kill the process to get it to stop.

It seems most good DVR/PVR surveillance software runs on Windows (e.g. Milestone, Blue Iris, etc...) which is a shame. I guess I can always spin a VM up for and install Windows but I'd rather not have to spend the money for a software license just for that. It also makes storage for the cams a bit trickier since the VM wouldn't reside on the same drive the RAW camera storage would sit.
If you run BI you want to run it on a dedicated box, not vm. They are cheap and windows is free.
There are great linux based vms's like network optix sold under dw ipvms in north america, 70 dollars per camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I can always spin a VM up for and install Windows
The biggest downside of doing that is the wasted CPU performance overhead of the virtual environment, when a VMS is a particularly performance-sensitive app.
Also - whilst the CPU may have virtualisation support, the same may not be true of the display.

It also makes storage for the cams a bit trickier since the VM wouldn't reside on the same drive the RAW camera storage would sit.
I'm not sure where you are coming from on this - there is lots of flexibility on storage location and allocation on a VM, that's a normal and required feature.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you are coming from on this - there is lots of flexibility on storage location and allocation on a VM, that's a normal and required feature.
It’s just figuring out how to pass a whole drive to KVM. I’m sure it’s not hard but I’d have to research it.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well then what are my choices for a physical Debian server? Am I stuck with Zonemender and Bluecherry?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well then what are my choices for a physical Debian server? Am I stuck with Zonemender and Bluecherry?
no, as noted there are many linux based vms...see my post above, just be ready to pay.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
no, as noted there are many linux based vms...see my post above, just be ready to pay.
Looking at the Network Optix website, I can’t even tell what Id have to buy with all the technobabble they spew on their site.

I don’t need Cloud. I can remote in via OpenVPN. I just need a solid backend that records to my desired storage and allows me to view via Desktop/Mobile App. I use to run Milestone on a Win VM. I guess I’m going to have to go back to that.

You mentioned Win is free. How is that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the Network Optix website, I can’t even tell what Id have to buy with all the technobabble they spew on their site.

I don’t need Cloud. I can remote in via OpenVPN. I just need a solid backend that records to my desired storage and allows me to view via Desktop/Mobile App. I use to run Milestone on a Win VM. I guess I’m going to have to go back to that.

You mentioned Win is free. How is that?
There is no technobabble on their site...Their cloud option is just that an option for some users.... If you don't understand basic VMS terminology then perhaps you need something much more simple.
Just sounds like you don't want to pay for it.
What I mean is Windows is free on any used PC. See the wiki for buying a PC for blue Iris most setups will require a 100 to $300 desktop.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't mind paying but not monthly. Everyone wants to tie you up for life.

I'm currently using my Debian box as a NAS that my 12 Axis cams record to. I just don't like Axis Camera Companion. Retrieving and watching footage is very slow. Their FF feature is terrible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mind paying but not monthly. Everyone wants to tie you up for life.

I'm currently using my Debian box as a NAS that my 12 Axis cams record to. I just don't like Axis Camera Companion. Retrieving and watching footage is very slow. Their FF feature is terrible.
NX witness/ dw ipvms has no monthly fees, in fact, they offer FREE upgrades to full new versions for life!
Blue iris has no monthly fees.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Alright thanks. I’ll check out NX Witness.