How is the Amcrest Mobile app? Is it free?

Sms4001

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, so after searching and searching at so many cameras/ systems I think I have settled on possibly this system: Amcrest 4K Security Camera System w/ 4K 16CH (8-Port PoE) NVR, (8) x 4K IP67 Weatherproof Metal Turret Dome & Bullet POE IP Cameras, Pre-Installed 3TB Hard Drive, NV4116E-IP8M-T2499EB8-3TB (Black)

I am just wondering about the mobile app. I see there is amcrest cloud, but I also see an amcrest pro view app. I don't want to have to pay for any sort of monthly service. I just would like to view cameras and receive motion alerts to my phone when at home and at work. Is this system capable of that? Is cloud required? or can you get that stuff directly from the NVR? This is my first foray into the wired camera world and trying to understand everything that suits my needs but just want to make sure on everything before I take the plunge! Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a rebranded Dahua system (a good thing).
Not sure those 8 MP cams will give the best low-light performance (a Dahua turret with 2 MP Starlight sensor will).
Good that they're turrets and not bullets (spider webs) or domes (IR bounce back, dome fog).
Do you really want black cams?

I'd send Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) that link and see what he can do price-wise on a 16 Channel POE DVR and 8 each 2 or 4 MP Dahua Starlight turret cams.
I'd bet he can beat the pants off the Amcrest price.
Price and install your own 3 TB surveillance-rated HDD (like WD Purple)...you can do it blind folded.
Price your own solid copper, CMR rated CAT-5e or 6 cable...I can guarantee those 8 each 60 ft. Ethernet cables included with the kit are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum), not something you want or need, especially with POE.

You can buy and use what's needed with regard to cable, connectors and tools; be prepared to terminate the cables with RJ-45 male connectors (advantage: drill only a small 3/8" hole in soffit, not a huge 3/4"). Install the matching junction box for each cam and hide/protect the cam's pigtail inside of it.

That's my 2 cents.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

James.S

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@Sms4001,

Welcome to the Forum!

Our apps are free, Amcrest View Pro is a free download and is totally free to use. This system is fully capable of sending you notifications and you do not need the cloud. In this particular situation, the NVR will act as the cloud. It will record all the data and you can access this data through the Amcrest View Pro anywhere in the world as long as you and the NVR have a good network connection.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to our team. We would be more than happy to assist you further. ( Amcrest support )

Sms4001

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a rebranded Dahua system (a good thing).
Not sure those 8 MP cams will give the best low-light performance (a Dahua turret with 2 MP Starlight sensor will).
Good that they're turrets and not bullets (spider webs) or domes (IR bounce back, dome fog).
Do you really want black cams?

I'd send Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) that link and see what he can do price-wise on a 16 Channel POE DVR and 8 each 2 or 4 MP Dahua Starlight turret cams.
I'd bet he can beat the pants off the Amcrest price.
Price and install your own 3 TB surveillance-rated HDD (like WD Purple)...you can do it blind folded.
Price your own solid copper, CMR rated CAT-5e or 6 cable...I can guarantee those 8 each 60 ft. Ethernet cables included with the kit are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum), not something you want or need, especially with POE.

You can buy and use what's needed with regard to cable, connectors and tools; be prepared to terminate the cables with RJ-45 male connectors (advantage: drill only a small 3/8" hole in soffit, not a huge 3/4"). Install the matching junction box for each cam and hide/protect the cam's pigtail inside of it.

That's my 2 cents.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:
Hey thanks for the info! So the biggest difference between the 8MP and the 2 or 4 MP would be the night vision correct? I assume the 8 MP would be better for daylight? I live in a cul de sac so don't get too much activity at night (although one would think that would be when you want the camera to be better for a potential break in but that's a different story I guess.) I don't know. I just have a set of wireless blink XT cameras now and wanted the bump in resolution / being able to do continuous recording because of the wired vs wireless. That's also why I chose black over the white but it doesn't really matter. I Unfortunately don't think I will be able to install these myself but I do like the idea of buying one without the hard drive and probably getting a better deal on my own. I had originally wanted one with Pan and tilt also but finding one with audio and 4k was a big challenge, and a big price jump! So I decided to drop the PTZ.