How long should an NVR5216-16p-4KS2 last?

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm asking because it seems I have just had another one fail. That is the second in about 4 years which seems far to often. For this latest one, I upgraded to the latest firmware about 3-4 months ago and it has been running fine. Until today. At some point overnight it hung up or something. All of the lights on the back side where the cameras are plugged in look to be normal, but on the front only the blue "Status" and "Power lights are lit, HDD and Net are not. I tried turning it off/turn it on and same status. Then turned off, removed the power cord for several minutes, reconnected and same status. Any troubleshooting techniques I can try before I have to buy yet another one?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I still have my Dauha DVR from 2012 running ;)

Ive got two 4208's running outside in Florida heat in NEMA boxes for 4 years next month, my current XVR is also going on 4 years, and I have a very old 5216 that I bought for a buddy out of state that is still running, I want to say 2015?

I have had a couple of hard drives expire during that time.... but not the Dahua equipment.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, I got it working again. I connected a monitor directly the the machine and it looked like it was still recording data, and all of the attached cameras were displayed on the grid. I didn't think to check the network settings though. Anyway, I re-flashed the firmware, then set all of the IP addressing again (of course it was all defaults after flashing), and badabing.

That makes me wonder if it just lost all of the network settings in the first place. And if so, why? I thought about the battery on the main board, but it's only 2 years old (yeah, it still could be), and if I'm not mistaken it is only used when the power is out. This machine did not lose power.

So for the time being, I saved myself $400. I just wonder how long "the time being" will be.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Update on this. Lost access to the NVR again yesterday. I still had the monitor connected and when I checked the network settings, the IP address had changed back to the default again. I checked a few of the other settings and it looks like it is only the IP address being lost. Time and DST settings still ok, user accounts still there . . .

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you setting a static IP on it in the 192.168.1.x range? Is that the LAN range of your network? Are you reserving that static IP in the router?
Yes I am setting a static address. Not in the class C range (192.168.1. net), but the Class A range (10. net). Yes, in the network range for my LAN so I can access it. No, not setting a reservation in my router, but I think I will now.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Weird.
So it defaulted back to 192.168.1.108? And you had it set static on the 10. net ... but all other settings stayed put...

I wonder if it has something to do with the internal switch using 10.1.1.x and it not liking the LAN address being on that net? Or some gateway issue?

I’m way over my head as I only understand enough about IP networking to be dangerous so I’ll quit ;)

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Weird.
So it defaulted back to 192.168.1.108? And you had it set static on the 10. net ... but all other settings stayed put...
Exactly.

btw, I was a network professional in a previous life and I don't know why it is doing this.