How many camera’s will this PC run?

dubb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Gotta ask why you are recording at 30fps. Are you producing movies? 15fps is fine and I run at 10fps. By cutting the frame rate back, by half, you double the throughput any given CPU can handle. An i7-6700 will probably handle that camera load, but not at 30fps without running "flat out". At 10 or 15fps it wouldn't have a problem.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s a formula that will figure out what you’re asking for, but there is a database that lets you type in the CPU info (like “i7-6700”) and view Blue Iris performance other folks are getting with that processor. When it pulls back the search results, you can click on a line and it will show you their camera details. To @awsum140’s point, 30 FPS is pretty high and will reduce the performance of the system.

https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@dubb ,

FWIW, online "surveillance" or "CCTV" bandwidth calculators vary site to site with their calcs but the consensus is that 21 cams @ 10fps use >50Mbps, cams running @30fps use >160Mbps which is over 3X as much bandwidth at the higher frame rate.

Your network would bog down big time at that bandwidth..........10fps will look good and perform MUCH better, IMO.

dubb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@dubb ,

FWIW, online "surveillance" or "CCTV" bandwidth calculators vary site to site with their calcs but the consensus is that 21 cams @ 10fps use >50Mbps, cams running @30fps use >160Mbps which is over 3X as much bandwidth at the higher frame rate.

Your network would bog down big time at that bandwidth..........10fps will look good and perform MUCH better, IMO.
At our last incident, the suspect ran past the camera but his face was blurry. What fps should I record at to prevent that?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At our last incident, the suspect ran past the camera but his face was blurry. What fps should I record at to prevent that?
I just added this to your other thread, but it's typically shutter speed that affects that reduces blur of faster moving objects. FPS doesn't really factor into the quality of each individual frame.

Rednick69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Spend some quality time reading this form man. I started reading about 4 weeks ago and realized there is soooo much I didn't know but now understand about cameras and systems. There are two dreams I was chasing, high FPS and high megapixels. Both are dumb, and I know that now.

I think there is actually a thread or writeup around here titled "Chasing the megapixel dream". Educate yourself here homie.

dubb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Spend some quality time reading this form man. I started reading about 4 weeks ago and realized there is soooo much I didn't know but now understand about cameras and systems. There are two dreams I was chasing, high FPS and high megapixels. Both are dumb, and I know that now.

I think there is actually a thread or writeup around here titled "Chasing the megapixel dream". Educate yourself here homie.
Yeah I have been reading these forums a lot lately. But in the meantime, this is a good pc for blue iris right for what I want?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But in the meantime, this is a good pc for blue iris right for what I want?
If it is a SFF (small form factor) PC it's hard to say if it will have room for a second drive, a 3.5" WD Purple as an example, for BI's video clips.
Best I can tell the 500GB that it has may be a 2.5" (laptop) hard drive.

I'd email the seller and ask for a Dell "Service Tag" # so you can go to Dell support online and see exactly how it's configured.

CPU and memory looks good, though.

dubb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If it is a SFF (small form factor) PC it's hard to say if it will have room for a second drive, a 3.5" WD Purple as an example, for BI's video clips.
Best I can tell the 500GB that it has may be a 2.5" (laptop) hard drive.

I'd email the seller and ask for a Dell "Service Tag" # so you can go to Dell support online and see exactly how it's configured.

CPU and memory looks good, though.
It has 1 3.5 slot and 2 slots for 2.5