How Many PTZ Presets With Alexa

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using Alexa to move to my presets and it's very convenient but there only seems to be 9 settings (10,20,30, etc.). Is this correct? If so, why not use 1-100? I hope I'm just missing something.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Short answer: Yes

Long answer: It helps to read the help file, but for your convenience I copy/pasted it for you:

Sure in a perfect world, we would not use percentages to control presets and profiles, this is a side-effect of the light-bulb device emulation. If Amazon opens the ASK API (Amazon Skill Kit Application Programming Interface) to further direct device control manufacturers, or if Blue Iris builds-out a full user portal website, this may change. You may also see additional HA integration, such as Hue and WeMo control directly through Blue Iris.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I read that but I guess what I don't get is the limitation of the percentage being used. I have Control4 which is a home automation controller. I have some drivers installed on it to control certain things in my home. I did not build these drivers so I do not know how they work but I do know they are built off of "light-bulb device emulation". Because when I go into my Alexa settings/devices I can see them and they show up as Hue bulbs. I use them the same way as I use Alexa in Blue Iris. Alexa "set my living room to 10". The only difference is that I can tell Alexa to set my living room to whatever value I want between 1 and 100. The driver is built from a Hue light. A light-bulb can be dimmed from 1 to 100. So my question is, if Blue Iris is using "light-bulb device emulation" why can't we select a value between 1 and 100? Presets start at 1 and go up from there. It would just be nice to say, Alexa set my camera to 1, 2 ,3, etc. up to 100 instead of 10, 20, 30, etc. up to 100.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So 1 % would be preset 1... 2% would be preset 2?

I'm not sure on this actually, I'm not a coder but I would think it might have to do with Blue Iris possibly not supporting 100 presets?

Maybe its easier to code Preset 1-10 as 10%, 20% ect and call it a day than than make BI support 100 preset. I'm going out on ignorance on this one and purely speculating

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So 1 % would be preset 1... 2% would be preset 2?
Yes, this exactly. Blue Iris doesn't need to support 100 presets. Currently with Alexa in Blue Iris preset 1=10, preset 2=20, preset 3=30 and so on up to 9=90. So 9 presets with Alexa. If we could use values between 1 and 100 we would be able to tell Alexa to trigger however many presets we have. In my Android Blue Iris app I have 15 presets. I don't know if this is the limit but even so 15 would be better than 9 and it would be easier to say Alexa set my camera to whatever preset I want, like 1, 2 or 15 instead of 10 for preset 1, 20 for preset 2 and 150 for pre... oh wait I can only go up to 90. See my point?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Again, it may be a coding limitation since blue iris does't support 100 presets (1-100%). Therefore it may cause some glitch if someone says "Go to 65%" and there is no support for preset 65 in blue iris

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Furthermore, let be honest... does a single camera really NEED 10+ presets?

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For most people probably not but It's so nice and easy to have Alexa move to a preset that I just want more. Although 9 is better than 0 so I guess I can live with it (for now).