how not to

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I watched a local company put up some cameras on a restaurant and parking lot the other day, near my house. Their work was good and they were using Hikvision cameras, so I figured they know what they were doing. When I first noticed this, I figured they were coming back to re-configure some things and leaving the connections out in the open was a temporary thing. I have neen walking my dogs past this parking lot for 3 or 4 weeks now. I am hoping that the guys forgot to tighten this up.

20170817_075213.jpg

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but I made some changes to the wiring of my pool equipment lately to add some automation.
Some of the existing wiring was pretty poorly done. I actually found water inside waterproof conduit that I was changing out. Professionals are on the clock, and have to get the job done quickly, where I take my time, and make sure I'm happy with the outcome.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
You would think they took the effort to mount a cable box, and what should it of taken to mount a secondary one for the camera to protect the power wire.
Or even heat shrink the power cable and apply a small amount of silicone.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you look closer I think they did put silicone around the lower cap !!
and we both know "She'll be right" ;-) from a sandgroper

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh. Not everyone has the same notions about visual appeal. I for one couldn't care less about exposed cords, while others think it is practically sinful to have a wired television.

You have to admit the camera install is functional and the connections that matter are waterproofed (assuming they didn't leave out any O-rings). They could have taped the cords up onto the metal beam, but I honestly couldn't say if that would appease those who don't like how this looks. Might make it worse for all I know. They also could have put all 4 screws into the lid of the box...

I don't see any sign of silicone sealant. Though it should not be necessary unless some of the o-rings around the RJ45 cable aren't installed properly.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
:eek: If this was one was at the end of that pole I don't think I would be worrying about a few screws missing and a wire hanging down :lmao:

Attachments

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
and we both know "She'll be right" ;-) from a sandgroper
I am going to assume that if there is some sort of goop on the connection, that it is dielectric grease. This pole is next to the ocean and most things take a beating from the salt spray.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm betting the cables don't last long in the Florida sun and wind whipping them about. Especially the pigtail from the cam.

I've had weather stations for 25 years, and I learned fairly quickly to lash everything down when exposed like that. Sustained wind above 30 mph can play havoc.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Bugger me mate,he could of put a dime bag over the camera power supply when he was up there.:smash:

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
LOL, at least they could have used a black bungee cord!

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hope you are doing well @bababouy

Wondering how it is looking now....
It made it through the storm, but the restaurant that it was going back to had quite a bit of damage. They are already rebuilding most of the damaged areas. Its funny, tiki bars with thatch roofs did well down here. The owner of the restaurant is now constructing a large one to replace the old dockside bar that was washed away.