Getting comfortable
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Tomorrow promises to be interesting
Most Shorted Names Soar After WallStreetBets Reopens | ZeroHedge

============

In a day when regulators, brokerages, and even the administration launched a full-court press to halt the marketwide short squeezes launched by Robinhood daytraders armed with stimmy checks and inspired by Reddit's forums - because a few hedge funds complained or were put out of business - Reddit's infamous WallStreetBets, the alleged origin of many of these bull raids, has published a response to the SEC. We present it without commentary.

"To the SEC retards in this sub: go fuck yourself. Why don't you start investigating why companies can shut down trading so their hedge fund buddies don't lose money. But when people lose money it's completely okay. Eat a dick," r/WallStreetBets said, which has already garnered 122k upvotes.

Reddit users of r/WallStreetBets were apparently trashed all day by CNBC hosts and guests, with some calling average retail investors "unsophisticated." Well, if they were so "unsophisticated," then the question begs, how did a bunch of millennials on the Reddit forum unleash one of the biggest "mother of all short squeezes," and during the process, blow up multiple hedge funds who were overleveraged in Gamestop short positions.

One Reddit user said, "SEC I have proof of malfeasance. A group of hedge funds shorted the ever-living fuck out of GME putting themselves in this position. What repercussions should they face? Or is it because they're somehow better than retail investors they shouldn't face any penalties? We. Like. The. Stock."

Last edited:

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
SLV is doing it for sure. It's the trade I've been doing for years. Unfortunately, I went to all cash yesterday and missed out on this morning's action (no cash available for trading). I'll just stay in cash for a while now, while there may be big gains to be made, they might just lock me into losing my shirt...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
SLV is doing it for sure. It's the trade I've been doing for years. Unfortunately, I went to all cash yesterday and missed out on this morning's action (no cash available for trading). I'll just stay in cash for a while now, while there may be big gains to be made, they might just lock me into losing my shirt...
Yeah, at my age I can’t afford to get whacked either. Have been in 75% cash /25% bonds since early Dec.

I do have a small Roth I may dabble with just for fun though ;)

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yeah, at my age I can’t afford to get whacked either. Have been in 75% cash /25% bonds since early Dec.

I do have a small Roth I may dabble with just for fun though ;)

Because the bank pays diddly in interest, I've set aside XX amount to actually try to get some returns. It's worked well but... when things get dicey (like right this moment), I keep it in cash.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
  • Marketwatch is 404 offline
  • Interactive Brokers is now preventing trading in the stocks

Update 0925 EST: Interactive Brokers has joined Robinhood and has put option trading in some names into liquidation. This headline crossed the terminal around 0925EST:
INTERACTIVE BROKERS PUTS SOME OPTION TRADING INTO LIQUIDATION
In a statement to CNBC, IB said:
“As of midday yesterday, (1/27/2021) Interactive Brokers has put AMC, BB, EXPR, GME, and KOSS option trading into liquidation only due to the extraordinary volatility in the markets. In addition, long stock positions will require 100% margin and short stock positions will require 300% margin until further notice. We do not believe this situation will subside until the exchanges and regulators halt or put certain symbols into liquidation only. We will continue to monitor market conditions and may add or remove symbols as may be warranted.”
Additionally, Robinhood has released the following statement:
“We continuously monitor the markets and make changes where necessary. In light of recent volatility, we are restricting transactions for certain securities to position closing only, including $AMC, $BB, $BBBY, $EXPR, $GME, $KOSS, $NAKD and $NOK. We also raised margin requirements for certain securities.”
We can't help but wonder...
Dear free and efficient markets, is there a restricted list for stocks that anyone without a Hampton's mansion can no longer trade?