How to Backup Blue Iris Files

Reaction score
I am running blue iris on an optiplex and its storage fills up quickly, so I am wondering what is simple way to move the files to my QNAP server. I am not well versed in servers maters. Should I do it through FTP or the QSync app, and are there instructions I should be looking at? Thank you!

Reaction score
My target of 90 days of continuous backup takes about 24 tb. The computer does not have this capacity, my QNAP has this capacity.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What you can do/try is setup a network share to your NAS, with a username and password that matches a username and password on the BI machine. Make this local user an admin user and logon as the user to make sure you can connect to the UNC share without being prompted for a username/password. Then change the BI service to use his username/password, stop and start the service. Then change your BI storage settings to either directly save to the NAS, specify the UNC path.

The. Play around until it starts working.

ykket

n3wb
Reaction score
As another option, does your QNAP support iSCSI? If so, you can add the storage to your computer and have it show up as another letter. I am currently doing this via FreeNAS and it works just fine for me.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As another option, does your QNAP support iSCSI? If so, you can add the storage to your computer and have it show up as another letter. I am currently doing this via FreeNAS and it works just fine for me.
Windows natively supports iSCSI? Hot dog!

ykket

n3wb
Reaction score
Windows natively supports iSCSI? Hot dog!
Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not :) lol

In any case, I use the Microsoft iscsi initiator and configure it to connect to my freenas volume. Within blue Iris I just set my stored location to my D drive.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not :) lol

In any case, I use the Microsoft iscsi initiator and configure it to connect to my freenas volume. Within blue Iris I just set my stored location to my D drive.
;) Not sarcasm. That is actually pretty cool because it gives an alternative to mounting a network share and dealing with issues like the BI service not being able to access it due to being logged in as the wrong user. Plenty of other programs can't access network shares at all!