How to distinguish a chinese from a non-chinese camera firmware

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How can we distinguish if a HIK vision camera has a chinese or non chinese (English or European) firmware before we upgrade?
Also is it possible to know if we are going to have language problems at the menus before we upgrade the firmware?
Can somebody summarize the possible results of firmware upgrading wth respect to menu languages and possible misfunctios such as the week day?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How can we distinguish if a HIK vision camera has a chinese or non chinese (English or European) firmware before we upgrade?
telnet into the cam, use the "prtHardInfo" command to display the language version.
1 = English

Also is it possible to know if we are going to have language problems at the menus before we upgrade the firmware?
Chinese camera with Chinese language marker will display all Chinese text when upgraded apart from the CBX region code fix or the hex edit hack.

Can somebody summarize the possible results of firmware upgrading wth respect to menu languages and possible misfunctios such as the week day?
Depends on the camera's region code and the firmware used, 2 things you need to understand/know before going any further.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
telnet into the cam, use the "prtHardInfo" command to display the language version.
1 = English

Chinese camera with Chinese language marker will display all Chinese text when upgraded apart from the CBX region code fix or the hex edit hack.

Depends on the camera's region code and the firmware used, 2 things you need to understand/know before going any further.
Thank you for the reply.
However if it is a chinese version what would be the result of prtHardInfo?
Also if there is the CH in the serial number it is a chinese version, correct?
If it is an english version how would the serial number look like?

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.
However if it is a chinese version what would be the result of prtHardInfo?
It simply shows what the current language setting is, my Chinese cam with hex edit fix displays "language = 1". I was mistaken that it might show origin language.
Also if there is the CH in the serial number it is a chinese version, correct?
Correct.
If it is an english version how would the serial number look like?
I don't remember off hand, there are examples in one of CBX's posts IIRC.

Edit: Output from Chinese Cam for reference.

29cs0eb.jpg

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The following command, from this post by CBX http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39646&start=19 identifies my China camera as Chinese even though it is running with a patched davinci.tar.gz.

VAR=`dd if=/dev/mtd5ro skip=1620 bs=1 count=1 2>/dev/null` ; if [ $VAR == $'\002' ]; then echo Chinese ; elif [ $VAR == $'\001' ]; then echo English ; else echo Unknown; fi