how to dumb-down a lv-n9808c8e

Reaction score
I have this NVR but also aquired a QNAP NAS recently and want to try out the surveillance station. Can I temporarily turn the NVR into a simple POE switch with the cameras visible to my NAS?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Try wiring a spare NVR PoE port to the same LAN the NAS is on.
I don't know about your specific NVR - but that would work for a Hikvision NVR.
A couple of things to remember - the cameras are presumably on a different IP address range than the LAN, so may not be accessible without some changes.
The NVR PoE port will likely be 10/100 so some limitation on throughput.

Reaction score
Thanks. I did connect a POE port to my LAN but didn't see any of the cameras on the router's page. I think I need to turn off the NVR's internal DHCP or change it's subnet. This is a re-branded Hikvision DS-76 series.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest - I'm not sure, as the address is <NVR_IP>:65001 etc which would provide the HTTP access. But I don't know how the RTSP access would work. But easy enough to try.

But what you should be able to do if it works like a regular Hikvision NVR is with a couple of tweaks access the cameras directly at their native 192.168.254.x addresses.
You need:
Virtual Host active.
The camera default gateway set to the IP address of the NVR PoE interface, by default 192.168.254.1
And to stop the NVR changing this back to the NVR LAN default gateway, set the NVR channel to Manual instead of Plug&Play
And lastly a static route in your LAN gateway/router to inform network devices that to reach the NVR PoE-connected cameras, traffic should be directed via the NVR LAN interface IP address, something like:
For network 192.168.254.0/24 (mask 255.255.255.0) use the gateway <NVR_LAN_interface_IP_address>

That's not as hard as it sounds, and it does work.

Reaction score
QNAP sees the camera at port 65001 but gives a mismatched model error. I chose Hikvision DS-2CD2022, which is it's equivalent from what I've read. The actual model # is LV-PB932F4.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
QNAP sees the camera at port 65001 but gives a mismatched model error.
That message is informational as opposed to fatal and can be ignored.
It may be interesting to see how far it gets - but I suspect the video access will be problematic.

But the Virtual Host method works OK on Hikvision NVRs.

Depending on what you want to explore with Surveillance Station, you could also use 'Generic RTSP' in SS to connect to the NVR's RTSP streams.
This would only be for continuous recording though, no motion detection.
The RTSP string would be RTSP://<NVR_IP_address>:554/Streaming/Channels/301
for channel 03 main stream