How to effectively use 5.2.7.9

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running an i5-9400 w/ 32mg built in Jan. The CPU utilization by BI has climbed from the low to mid 20s in Jan to between 38 and 45% today. The GPU usage is right around 17%. The only change was to add a NIC a while back and more the cameras to a local subnet. This actually seemed to reduce the utilization.

Thanks in advance for some help. I am a little discouraged to see BI taking almost twice the resoruces from a few months ago and not sure what to do next. My CPU utilization was in low to mid 20s in Jan when I bulit -5-9400 w/32 RAM.

Today I repeatedly had 100% CPU load when using numerous browser windows open while learning about HA. I thought maybe it was just the number of browsers but tonight after shutting everything down BI is still between 38 and 45% CPU. So I took the 5.2.7.9 upgrade but now realize this apparently means also reconfiguring BI? I don't see a point in rolling back as this has been an issue for at least a couple weeks. I'm only on it now because it's annoying to tryuse the PC for something besides BI.

Please share some knowledge with me in regards to the general idea of what I need to do to get the CPU usage back in the 20s. I really want BI to be an appliance and not a hobby.

I have Dahua cams 6 - 2231 and one - 5231
BI is setup as a service.
Hardware decode is set to Intel+VPP
File format it BI DVR
Cameras are each set to DTD recording continuously w/FLAC
All motion detect is done on camera, no text or watermark is added.

Cameras are set to h.264 1920x1280 @ 25FPS 4096 bit rate. I can configure the substreams but would like to have a few steps to follow. If I am missing where this was documented I'd be happy with a link to read it too!

TIA - MickPB

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your load is tiny for that processor. You dont need to use any of the substream features of the new update which is still not 100 percent stable. That is why the update provides you will the option to install the last known stable update. Your load should have been in the low teens to begin with. Dont use vpp. It seems like you are using your home desktop to run blue iris and this opens up lots of possibilities as to the cause of your issues.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend using sub streams yet if you value high quality and responsive live viewing. There's also a bug which makes BI crash sometimes when you open a clip for playback.

There isn't much in the way of documentation for sub streams. Mainly this thread 5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

Intel or Intel + VPP may be better, I don't know anymore. Look at CPU and GPU usage graphs in task manager and try both.

The rest of that configuration sounds fine.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm running an i5-9400 w/ 32mg built in Jan. ...
You built a system in Jan 2020 with an i5? And I'll asume that was as typo of mg instead of gb. Still.....32gb of RAM? That's one lop sided system but sometimes you use what cha got. We've all done it before.

Today I repeatedly had 100% CPU load when using numerous browser windows open while learning about HA. ...
HA? As in you were studying High Availability on the BI system? I get the impression that your BI system is being used for more than just BI. It would help you a ton to use a dedicated system for BI.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You built a system in Jan 2020 with an i5? And I'll asume that was as typo of mg instead of gb. Still.....32gb of RAM? That's one lop sided system but sometimes you use what cha got. We've all done it before.

HA? As in you were studying High Availability on the BI system? I get the impression that your BI system is being used for more than just BI. It would help you a ton to use a dedicated system for BI.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't write asking to have harware crtiqued. I was posting in a BI forum asking for help with BI. I chose the processor and got a great deal on the memory. My point was that I am asking for help on what might have doubled the CPU utilization for BI.

In regards to HA - I was referring to Home Assistant.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

The 8th and 9th generation i5's are more powerful than 7th generation i7's. His i5-9400 will run his load in the low teens probably lower.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I didn't write asking to have harware crtiqued. I was posting in a BI forum asking for help with BI. I chose the processor and got a great deal on the memory. My point was that I am asking for help on what might have doubled the CPU utilization for BI.

In regards to HA - I was referring to Home Assistant.
Bingo. Thanks for making that clear.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 8th and 9th generation i5's are more powerful than 7th generation i7's. His i5-9400 will run his load in the low teens probably lower.
Thanks 651 -I should've wrote out HomeAssistant. I had a run at near high availabilty systems in corporate days. Glad that is over! All anyone wanted to know was why it cost more!

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your load is tiny for that processor. You dont need to use any of the substream features of the new update which is still not 100 percent stable. That is why the update provides you will the option to install the last known stable update. Your load should have been in the low teens to begin with. Dont use vpp. It seems like you are using your home desktop to run blue iris and this opens up lots of possibilities as to the cause of your issues.
I am using the home desktop but I have not made any changes to it. It is a browser and Spotify machine. I have another headless system that I use for projects. The only software that has changed since Jan is updates that apply to Windows and Google Chrome and Drive .

Is it possible I need to uninstall and re-install the software? I've tried the options for the acceleration and Intel+VPP was indeed the better option. I also checked that there are no pending Windows update. I have noticed that task manager reports a higher CPU utilization for BI that what BI reports by 10-12%. I also find it off that it surges up and down by about that same amount. In the past I never noticed the surging

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend using sub streams yet if you value high quality and responsive live viewing. There's also a bug which makes BI crash sometimes when you open a clip for playback.

There isn't much in the way of documentation for sub streams. Mainly this thread 5.2.7.0 - RTSP sub-streams for high-MP cameras

Intel or Intel + VPP may be better, I don't know anymore. Look at CPU and GPU usage graphs in task manager and try both.

The rest of that configuration sounds fine.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Intel+VPP is definitely better choice.
. I
I did notice when I was checking the different options that the % CPU reported in the BI5 screen at the bottom is consistently 10-12 percent less that Win Task Manager is reporting. BOth surge up and down. BI from 30-40 percent and Win Task manager from 43% to 56%! It'salmost as if it became a bigger discrepancy with each reboot.

I'm ready to export the config, uninstall it and then try re-installing it. Any other thoughts?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using the home desktop but I have not made any changes to it. It is a browser and Spotify machine. I have another headless system that I use for projects. The only software that has changed since Jan is updates that apply to Windows and Google Chrome and Drive .

Is it possible I need to uninstall and re-install the software? I've tried the options for the acceleration and Intel+VPP was indeed the better option. I also checked that there are no pending Windows update. I have noticed that task manager reports a higher CPU utilization for BI that what BI reports by 10-12%. I also find it off that it surges up and down by about that same amount. In the past I never noticed the surging
I would strongly suggest a dedicated blue iris system run off a clean install using windows media player. Your load can be run on a 100 dollar i5 4th gen. In the interim downgrade to the last known stable version as indicated in the app.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest a dedicated blue iris system run off a clean install using windows media player. Your load can be run on a 100 dollar i5 4th gen. In the interim downgrade to the last known stable version as indicated in the app.
It's the only Win machine in the house. This was an new motherboard, mem, CPU, etc of the old system. Really BI is the only reason I have a Win box.

Will the registration key be exported and re-imported if I do go ahead with the remove / restart / reinstall?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's the only Win machine in the house. This was an new motherboard, mem, CPU, etc of the old system. Really BI is the only reason I have a Win box.

Will the registration key be exported and re-imported if I do go ahead with the remove / restart / reinstall?
no you will need to reenter the key.
you should reinstall windows clean if the machine is for blue iris. Like I said, if you want to run other stuff on it anything can happen. I have over 20 blue iris machines running smooth as butter for years. All you need to follow is 2 simple rules.
1 - No crap. Clean windows install.
2- Dont rush to update.

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah - I seem to have lost that key email. I thought I left it in Gmail. Maybe just not searching for correct term but I can ask to support for that.
Will probably try the export/remove/restart/re-install option first just because it will be quick. Then the windows refresh.

Really appreciate your help here. I am a little frustrated after having a camera go out a couple weeks ago and now this. I really want that that smooth as butter experience and thought I was on that course. I will be setting up versioning or checkpointing or whatever windows does to allow the state to be reset so that I have an easier way out next time too!

Thanks for your help.

I'll report back

MickPB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks 651 -I should've wrote out HomeAssistant. I had a run at near high availabilty systems in corporate days. Glad that is over! All anyone wanted to know was why it cost more!
I was just re-reading the messages, and realized that I didnt share that this is a Win 10 system. I see the reference to media player but thought that media player version went away with Win 8 - Am I missing something here?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just re-reading the messages, and realized that I didnt share that this is a Win 10 system. I see the reference to media player but thought that media player version went away with Win 8 - Am I missing something here?
it should read windows media creation tool

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Why are you running the cams at 25fps? Maybe drop them down to 15? Also are you converting the audio to FLAC?

I run 8 5231-ze cams, 15fps on my i5-6500 with 12Gb ram and it sits at around 16-20% with the odd occasional spike into the late 20’s.

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you watching the live stream? If so, you will see the CPU you spike while doing so.