How to enable motion detection on cameras with a tablet running Windows 8.1

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

I am mainly a Mac user, so please understand, I know just enough to get myself into trouble on a PC.

I have two cameras on my network that were set up without motion detection enabled. They are both TP cameras I purchased from a well known online retailer based in Florida. They set this equipment up via remote support and later I discovered that motion detection was not enabled. My old windows vista computer has since died and I was advised by this place to buy a netbook or tablet running some flavor of windows 7 or 8 to make changes. So I found what I thought was good deal and bought a windows tablet running 8.1. I though I could log on and make changes to the cameras. However I am finding out this is easier said then done on a tablet with no Ethernet or usb ports.

I was able to log on wirelessly to my NVR, no problem with my tablet after enabling ActiveX and listing the url of the NVR in compatibility view. But my cameras, plugged into the NVR's built in POE switch have a different url scheme- 10.1.1.XXX. There are no ports on this tablet, so I can't use a wireless adapter. Can anyone suggest a way to connect to these cameras so I can enable motion detection?

thanks,
Tubac

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have thought you could enable motion detection through the NVR. If you let us know what model of NVR and cameras, someone might be able to help.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You do not need ethernet to connect to the cameras. You connect to your router over WiFi already, and that puts your tablet on your network. You just have to get the camera on the network. I cannot tell if your NVR will route data between the cameras and your network, so you may have to plug the cameras into your router instead of the NVR, and power them up (either by PoE if you have an injector or by getting a compatible DC power adapter). Then they will be on the same network as your tablet and you will be able to access them. It may require changing your tablet's IP address temporarily to a static IP address in the same address range as the camera.

I find it hard to believe though that you can't turn on motion detection right there in the NVR's interface. You can view the camera video, right?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes I can see the cameras and motion detection is enabled on the recorder, but because the recorder is on the 192.168 scheme I an not able to make adjustments on the two TP cameras I have. Both TP cams are not responding to motion.

I was told that if I use a wifi to Ethernet adapter and plug it into one of the POE ports I will be able to access both cameras with my tablet. Does that sound like it will work? It is either that or I have to take down the two cameras which are in remote locations, power them up with a 12 volt adapter and plug them into my Airport router, somehow changing the scheme back to 192.168 to make the adjustments.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I can see the cameras and motion detection is enabled on the recorder, but because the recorder is on the 192.168 scheme I an not able to make adjustments on the two TP cameras I have. Both TP cams are not responding to motion.

I was told that if I use a wifi to Ethernet adapter and plug it into one of the POE ports I will be able to access both cameras with my tablet. Does that sound like it will work? It is either that or I have to take down the two cameras which are in remote locations, power them up with a 12 volt adapter and plug them into my Airport router, somehow changing the scheme back to 192.168 to make the adjustments.

It possible to take a wireless adapter adapter and plug it into the POE ports to access the camera. I use an pocket wifi adapter to plug into my customer's network that doesn't have wifi to service their networking using my work tablet.

Unless I am mistaken, I don't think NVR motion detect depends on camera built in motion detect to work. It a two different thing. You either use the NVR motion detect or the camera built in motion detect.

I never tried it before or I do not own a NVR but if i plan to get a NVR on day I am going to hook it to my one same LAN networking with my camera so I don't have to depend on NVR to access each of my camera remotely so I would be getting a NVR with only one Ethernet port.

You might be able to do this by getting a POE switch and connect your NVR and all camera to that switch then connect that switch to your home router with wifi to access all device remotely with your Tablet.

Bill

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Bill, and thanks for your reply.
I have 4 cameras on my network. Two are plugged in to an 8 port switch and two are plugged into the built in POE switch on my NVR. Of the two cams on the switch, one is a PTZ with a 24 volt brick for power and the other is POE. The two TP cams which are ONVIF are connected to the built in Poe on the NVR. I did not plan it this way, but bought these cams one at a time. Each time I would get on the computer with remote help from a cctv tech and he would decide how to hook up the new camera.
Although I have enabled motion detection on my NVR, only the two cameras connected to the stand alone switch are responding to motion.
this is the adapter I am ordering, is it like the one you use? I believe in is actually a router powered by usb.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RJ45-Ethernet-WiFi-Express-Mini-Adapter-Router-For-iPhone-Macbook-/201222480235?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item2ed9cb616b

Tom

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Bill, and thanks for your reply.
I have 4 cameras on my network. Two are plugged in to an 8 port switch and two are plugged into the built in POE switch on my NVR. Of the two cams on the switch, one is a PTZ with a 24 volt brick for power and the other is POE. The two TP cams which are ONVIF are connected to the built in Poe on the NVR. I did not plan it this way, but bought these cams one at a time. Each time I would get on the computer with remote help from a cctv tech and he would decide how to hook up the new camera.
Although I have enabled motion detection on my NVR, only the two cameras connected to the stand alone switch are responding to motion.
this is the adapter I am ordering, is it like the one you use? I believe in is actually a router powered by usb.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RJ45-Ethernet-WiFi-Express-Mini-Adapter-Router-For-iPhone-Macbook-/201222480235?pt=US_USB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item2ed9cb616b

Tom
What I use is a pocket wifi this what I have but it old and I am sure there a newer version out there - http://www.asus.com/Networking/WL330gE/ I plug it into the customer router port or switch port then my tablet wifi connect to that pocket wifi allowing me to access the customer networking to configure devices on it. I have it configured as an wireless access point.

Bill

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.