How to get gigabit speeds?

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am very new to security IP systems and tech in general.
So I have Xfinity Gigabit plan. They provide their router/modem combo. It has 1 supposed 2.5 Gbps port in the modem. My plan is 1200 Mbps. My question is, what do I need to do in order to get these speeds? Any equipment I need to buy or change? Does most equipment even have the ability to produce these speeds? Where do I start?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am very new to security IP systems and tech in general.
So I have Xfinity Gigabit plan. They provide their router/modem combo. It has 1 supposed 2.5 Gbps port in the modem. My plan is 1200 Mbps. My question is, what do I need to do in order to get these speeds? Any equipment I need to buy or change? Does most equipment even have the ability to produce these speeds? Where do I start?
If you can get lower speeds at a cheaper rate do it. There is no website that serves data at even 10 percent of those speeds. You dont need that kind of internet connection for ip cameras - just setup a gigabit local network with gigabit switches and you are set - your internet speeds only affect remote viewing and even then its only the upload speed - you dont need much . Unless your are doing specialized work or there are 50 gamers or netflix watchers simultaneously you will yield no benefit to the 1200 Mbps other than a nice speedtest result.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I pegged the needle! I can get more cameras? my internal network with 10 cams streaming and 7 tabs open in Chrome,
shows 42.8 Mbps....

1665172302954.png
1665172411881.png

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
local speeds for your location are based upon the hardware limitations; what type of router, access point (could be within the router), switch (if applicable), and the network card within the clients. if all of these are Gbit capable, you should expect near Gbit rates; if not then whichever device is slower will limit the rate.

cameras within your Local Area Network (your side of the router) shouldn't really tax the network's capacity; unless you have really old hardware.

if you intend to view your camera's remotely, your upload speed is more critical than download. though don't worry, a 10Mbit upload is typically MORE than adequate and with the plan you have it's surely more than this

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you can get lower speeds at a cheaper rate do it. There is no website that serves data at even 10 percent of those speeds. You dont need that kind of internet connection for ip cameras - just setup a gigabit local network with gigabit switches and you are set - your internet speeds only affect remote viewing and even then its only the upload speed - you dont need much . Unless your are doing specialized work or there are 50 gamers or netflix watchers simultaneously you will yield no benefit to the 1200 Mbps other than a nice speedtest result.
I have had this plan for almost 2 years. I did have 4 teenagers with all types of downloading and gaming going on in addition to 10 cameras streaming. Plus Xfinity does their lovely data cap limit and I was always going over. So doing this plan was cheaper than paying the overage and got higher speeds. And we did notice a huge improvement Not sure if it is 1200 Mbps improvement but it was better! I believe I had like the 200 Mbps plan before this one.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
local speeds for your location are based upon the hardware limitations; what type of router, access point (could be within the router), switch (if applicable), and the network card within the clients. if all of these are Gbit capable, you should expect near Gbit rates; if not then whichever device is slower will limit the rate.

cameras within your Local Area Network (your side of the router) shouldn't really tax the network's capacity; unless you have really old hardware.

if you intend to view your camera's remotely, your upload speed is more critical than download. though don't worry, a 10Mbit upload is typically MORE than adequate and with the plan you have it's surely more than this
I believe my upload is 30 or 40

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably a little late now with the kids no longer gaming/watching/downloading, but do your cameras go through your router to get to your NVR/VMS? They should be on their own switch, along with the NVR/VMS to keep that traffic off of your router. A quick dagram of your network layout would help a lot.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Okay so since most equipment is gigabit, then I shouldn’t expect speeds over 1000 Mbps unless I were to change all equipment in the network with the hardware to perform over the 1gb? I think only the modem/router supports the 2.5 gb claim.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Your speed will only be as fast as the slowest link between whatever two points. So, yes, if you have a 1Gb switch behind your modem/router, then throughput won't be any faster than that. Actually, a little lower since there's some overhead. Gigabit Internet service typically will be up to ~930 actual. You might be able to aggregate ports between devices to roughly double that where supported but don't know if their modem/router or your switch supports that. From there the throughput on individual devices will be less than that depending on their own capabilities. Typical WiFi devices will be much lower since limited by connection speeds there.

On the other end out over the Internet, you've got whatever limitations along the way and by server response at whatever endpoint.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably a little late now with the kids no longer gaming/watching/downloading, but do your cameras go through your router to get to your NVR/VMS? They should be on their own switch, along with the NVR/VMS to keep that traffic off of your router. A quick dagram of your network layout would help a lot.
it’s very basic. Xfinity router/modem to NVR w/built in POE switch. Lol that’s it.
I would love to learn how to be smarter/safer in my network setup. Just learning all of this now. I have very basic knowledge

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your speed will only be as fast as the slowest link between whatever two points. So, yes, if you have a 1Gb switch behind your modem/router, then throughput won't be any faster than that. Actually, a little lower since there's some overhead. Gigabit Internet service typically will be up to ~930 actual. You might be able to aggregate ports between devices to roughly double that where supported but don't know if their modem/router or your switch supports that. From there the throughput on individual devices will be less than that depending on their own capabilities. Typical WiFi devices will be much lower since limited by connection speeds there.

On the other end out over the Internet, you've got whatever limitations along the way and by server response at whatever endpoint.
Thanks for the information!
I would have thought there may be some sort of adapters or something. I guess I should be good regardless even if speeds are only near 900 Mbps as I have learned I don’t even need that much. It’s the unlimited data thing that got me!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had this plan for almost 2 years. I did have 4 teenagers with all types of downloading and gaming going on in addition to 10 cameras streaming. Plus Xfinity does their lovely data cap limit and I was always going over. So doing this plan was cheaper than paying the overage and got higher speeds. And we did notice a huge improvement Not sure if it is 1200 Mbps improvement but it was better! I believe I had like the 200 Mbps plan before this one.
There is zero chance you had an improvement. Zero. Its a technical impossibility. They may have given you a new router which may have improved wifi speeds. Netflix top streaming speed for 4k content is 15Mbps Internet connection speed recommendations.

You can have 1000 cameras and it will not affect your internet connection unless you are actively remote viewing and even then it uses little bandwidth - your camera streaming to your NVR is done on the local network.

Upgrading your network equipment to meet the useless theoretical speeds is tossing money down the drain.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a dahua 5216 nvr with internal POE and 8 cams. This model has an incoming bandwidth of 320Mbps for all the cameras and an outgoing bandwidth of 80Mbps for viewing and remotely accessing the nvr.

You don't mention what type but your nvr set up likely has a similar 80Mbps outgoing ( upload ) limit also.

Welcome to the ipcamtalk madhouse btw :)

Last edited:

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a dahua 5216 nvr with internal POE and 8 cams. This model has an incoming bandwidth of 320Mbps for all the cameras and an outgoing bandwidth of 80Mbps for viewing and remotely accessing the nvr.

You don't mention what type but your nvr set up likely has an 80Mbps outgoing ( upload ) limit also.

Welcome to the ipcamtalk madhouse btw :)
Thanks!
It has 160 incoming and 256 outgoing

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is zero chance you had an improvement. Zero. Its a technical impossibility. They may have given you a new router which may have improved wifi speeds. Netflix top streaming speed for 4k content is 15Mbps Internet connection speed recommendations.

You can have 1000 cameras and it will not affect your internet connection unless you are actively remote viewing and even then it uses little bandwidth - your camera streaming to your NVR is done on the local network.

Upgrading your network equipment to meet the useless theoretical speeds is tossing money down the drain.
Well that is good to know! Thank you!

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
12384A5C-2DB7-4028-A72D-CD23AD4C3F16.png

So I constantly get this in regards to an alarm.com camera that I have (but will be pulling down within a week). This is from the security feature in the Xfinity modem.What exactly does this mean?

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks!
It has 160 incoming and 256 outgoing
I'm not sure what the bandwidth overhead of using the NVR Web user interface is but if you are viewing take 1 cam main stream at 8192 bpms and say 4 cam sub streams at 1024 bpms = 12360 + your web interface.

In a nutshell...... You've loads of capacity

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
So I constantly get this in regards to an alarm.com camera that I have (but will be pulling down within a week). This is from the security feature in the Xfinity modem.What exactly does this mean?
It's not clear from the messages but you probably have a port open to that or some other device on your network. They can't be alerting you to every unsolicited attempt, you'd be seeing tons 24x7.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's not clear from the messages but you probably have a port open to that or some other device on your network. They can't be alerting you to every unsolicited attempt, you'd be seeing tons 24x7.
All of these are in regards to one device I have. If this were just a common thing, I would think I would see this on some of the other 50 devices I have on my network. I don’t want to freak out over common things that happen and not too sure what it even means. Seeing China and Russia does kind of give me a not so good feeling though.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
"I would love to learn how to be smarter/safer in my network setup. Just learning all of this now. I have very basic knowledge "
This guy, If you look around thru his video's might land you on a topic or two that pertains to network setup etc....

Last edited: