How to hook up an IP camera to a monitor just for live feed?

karmadhi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Let's say i have an IP camera and I want to show the live feed on some monitor (hdmi/vga input). How can I make this work? No NVR, no recording, want to use camera only for the live feed.

Thnx in advance.

Karmadhi

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You will need a small PC to pull the video stream. There are many choices.

• Raspberry Pi 2
  • Some Android HDMI dongle
  • A small Windows/linux PC (HDMI stick or otherwise)

Beware if you buy something that only has wifi for network connectivity then by pulling the video you will be creating a constant load on the wifi network and substantially degrading the performance of other wifi devices. My recommendation is to use something with an ethernet (RJ45) port and don't use wifi for anything. The Raspberry Pi 2 is your cheapest option in that case since it has the ethernet port, HDMI output, and the processing power should be sufficient to stream a video from just about any IP camera.

karmadhi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thnx for the reply. So the idea is to plug the camera on the network, add the ip on the dongle and than hook up that to the monitor using hdmi/vga. Can you recommend me one specific hdmi dongle? So i can work form there.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, I really can't recommend one specifically. I avoid wifi like the plague for my camera stuff.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty nice android box there. Almost certainly more powerful than Raspberry Pi 2 and a heck of a lot more user-friendly.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought this box for streaming 8 cams. Works great with Tiny cam Pro. Wifi sucks, but it has 1Gb lan.

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_282312.html
This is typical for these low cost products. They normally have a low cost/lower power wi-fi chipset to assure they can pass FCC and CE testing requirements on device radiation - we deal with this in a few products our company manufactures, if not you have to spend more to insulate the board and chipset better or go to a different and more expensive antenna. If anyone gets a device like this and must have wi-fi I always say just pickup a linksys or netgear USB plug in which will give you the wifi coverage most desire. As in your case - I always recomend hard wired anyways.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I meant to say wifi sucks for streaming 8 cams on it, but for 1 cam it will be fine or streaming movies.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have FIre TV and side loaded Tinycam pro, works great plus it has great KODI on it already for streaming it was $50.00

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
$34 from Amazon, even less from others: http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Super-Network-Video-Recorder/dp/B00KO89A86

wired ethernet and full fps, should support any ONVIF and has both HDMI and VGA.. requires no local storage or input for display purposes.. Dont worry about firmware, if you dont get the latest its easy to find.

its not anything special, but it gets the job done for a reasonable cost.. can only give it substreams for cameras >1080p, but if displayed in a fixed grid thats fine.

now someone just needs to write some custom firmware for the fucker so we can remotely change the display.. hrmm, yeah I've been exploring the idea.. if only these Chinese companies gave back all the open source shit they stole.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.