How to improve low light performance with moving targets in Axis P3364VE and others

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I reset my Axis cams a little while ago and had to adjust my settings again which reminded me of this little trick or almost hidden setting. Both of my Axis cams are near lights so they don't need to be at the max exposure length of 1/30th that the easily accessible settings allow you to get at. If you've got enough light that you want to cut way down on motion blur for moving objects just go into setup, system option, advanced, plain config and select Image source and follow these directions for, say 1/60th of a second in low light conditions. 1/120th loses little detail out on my dimly lit lawn and really improves facial detail for people walking on my front porch with just a single LED bulb for illumination. The following quote is what Axis customer support sent me when I asked why the exposure settings stopped at 1/30th under "Video & Audio, Camera Settings, Max Shutter" when I had enough light to shoot a lot faster and the camera seemed to assume I didn't want faster than that.

----------------Quote Below---------------------
In new cameras there are four parameters determining exposure and all of them are used:

Max fast shutter
Max slow shutter
Max exposure time
Min exposure time

Only "max fast shutter" and "max slow shutter" show in the GUI. Those two parameters can only be configured in a certain range, most importantly max slow shutter can not be shorter then 1/30 (or in 25fps mode 1/25s).
Max / min exposure time can override Max fast/slow shutter, the camera always uses the parameter with the higher limit. So, in this case you could configure them like this:

Max fast shutter: 1000 = 1/1000s (will be overruled by min exposure time)
Max slow shutter: 40000 = 1/25s (will be overruled by max exposure time)
Max exposure time: 4000 = 1/250s (will be applied)

In short, you have to configure "Max exposure time" in the plain config / imagesource with a shorter value - value in microseconds. So e.g. a value of 4000 would correspond to 1/250s (4000 + 250 = 1 000 000). In their case I guess a value of 1/60s should do it, value should be set to 16 666 (16 666 x 60 = 1000000), alt 1/100s (value 10000)
------------------End Quote----------------------------