How to improve upon constant (false) motion detection from cameras?

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI all,

I bought a series of different Dahua-style turret cameras for my recent security cam install. I'm using Synology Surveillance Station as my recording device.

I'm realizing that cameras have a variety of different motion detection features. A couple of the cameras have "advanced event detection" where they can identify humans and vehicles. These have been the most reliable for me - I have them set to notify on only human or vehicle detection, which gives me a fairly concise set of notifications to review when they occur.

Some of the cameras (including these inexpensive Amcrest: ) have only what seems like a basic motion detection. Even adjusting the detection field is producing a ton of events - whether from the sun coming in or out, an insect flying around the camera at night, or cob webs. I can have constant notifications for hours of the day or night with this camera.

I have been trying to figure out what options are available for this Amcrest when upgraded to Dahua firmware (Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW is the same as IPC-HDW2531T-AS-S2, I think) - but I don't think the Dahua camera has face/vehicle detection either. It does have Smart Plan, Tripwire, Intrusion, but I don't know if these offer any benefits over the Amcrest that will help with my false motion detections.

Can anyone let me know of some tips to reduce false motion alerts, or some benefits of Smart Plan, Tripwire, Intrusion, or IVS features that would help?

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can either buy cameras with AI, use a VMS that has AI, or try the Tripwire/Intrusion/IVS.

Most here find that IVS is much better than using motion detection, even if it doesn't have AI.

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Most here find that IVS is much better than using motion detection, even if it doesn't have AI.
Is there a tutorial for this that might help me understand the differences and how they work? Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is as close as it gets LOL. Just enough words to not really tell you anything.

Most of us learn it by trial and error.

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anyone let me know of some tips to reduce false motion alerts, or some benefits of Smart Plan, Tripwire, Intrusion, or IVS features that would help?
Buy an used computer, buy BlueIris NVR software for $60, install BlueIris, install Deepstack AI either CPU or GPU. Enjoy little to no false motion alert.

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So if I understand:

Tripwire "alarms" when something passes a defined line on the image.

Intrusion "alarms" when something passes in or out of a defined box on the image.

IVS is just a broad name for the type of detection that tripwire and intrusion fall in to.

Do I have it correct?

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do I have it correct?
Yes, that about sums it up.

IVS tripwire and intrusion are fantastic. You can add it to your Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW by installing Dahua firmware. Search the forum for the magic instructions.

- Thomas

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, that about sums it up.

IVS tripwire and intrusion are fantastic. You can add it to your Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW by installing Dahua firmware. Search the forum for the magic instructions.

- Thomas
@ThomasCamFan
Thanks - those are the only things that come with the Dahua firmware, right? No human or vehicle detection? Thanks again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some of the Amcrest have them, but they are fairly standard on the Dahua cams.

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks - those are the only things that come with the Dahua firmware, right? No human or vehicle detection? Thanks again.
Regarding an Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW running Dahua firmware, the added IVS feature allows for tripwire and intrusion. It does not provide any other AI functions such as human or vehicle detection. Keep in mind that it is a $60 5MP camera, so it does not have the computational horsepower to do AI tricks.

Here's how I look at it: A $60 camera and 15 minutes work will give you the features of a camera that cost 2X as much.

TLDR; The IP5M-T1179EW is a good budget POE camera for areas that only need observation performance. If you need more than that then consider using one of the popular Dahua cams that are frequently discussed on the forum.

- Thomas

mooch91

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Regarding an Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW running Dahua firmware, the added IVS feature allows for tripwire and intrusion. It does not provide any other AI functions such as human or vehicle detection. Keep in mind that it is a $60 5MP camera, so it does not have the computational horsepower to do AI tricks.

Here's how I look at it: A $60 camera and 15 minutes work will give you the features of a camera that cost 2X as much.

TLDR; The IP5M-T1179EW is a good budget POE camera for areas that only need observation performance. If you need more than that then consider using one of the popular Dahua cams that are frequently discussed on the forum.

- Thomas
Thank you very much!