How to increase size of emailed pictures?

soulchief

n3wb
Reaction score
How can I increase the size of the pictures that are emailed to me when the motion detection triggers?

Right now I'm getting small 10kb, 352x288 images.

The camera is: DS-2CD3132F-IW
And the email notification / motion detection is being done on my NVR: DS-7608NI-E2

Thanks!

soulchief

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision told me that "at this time" it was not possible to increase the email picture size. Implied that processing and emailing the pics was a processor intensive task for the NVR.
Ok, thanks. I guess it would be the same thing if I wanted to FTP them instead?

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like there's the same constraint. I've never used FTP but I can't find any other settings for FTP picture size on my NVR. Perhaps someone here who's used FTP can better advise you.

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I guess it would be the same thing if I wanted to FTP them instead?
No, the FTP transfer can be done directly from the cameras in maximum resolution or whatever you choose. Also, you can adjust the number of pictures to transfer via FTP (email is always 3, as I recall).
I agree that the pictures are pretty useless by email. Acutally, I can only view them on my phone/iPad. In Outlook I see only a small black frame, which is empty.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision told me that "at this time" it was not possible to increase the email picture size. Implied that processing and emailing the pics was a processor intensive task for the NVR.
I just tried this out of curiosity - I have never used email or FTP event notifications either on cameras or NVRs.
On the NVRs I'm set up for 'video loss notifications' only.

On a DS-2CD2032 with firmware IPC_R0_EN_STD_5.4.0_160530 I get an image size both on FTP and via email (gmail) which is the same resolution as that set for the 'Main stream (normal)' in Video/Audio config.
I tested 1920x1080 and 2048x1536
I've not tested this on any earlier firmware.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where did you find to set the resolution so high for email notifications? I've been unable to accomplish this since I bought the NVR.

I just tried this out of curiosity - I have never used email or FTP event notifications either on cameras or NVRs.
On the NVRs I'm set up for 'video loss notifications' only.

On a DS-2CD2032 with firmware IPC_R0_EN_STD_5.4.0_160530 I get an image size both on FTP and via email (gmail) which is the same resolution as that set for the 'Main stream (normal)' in Video/Audio config.
I tested 1920x1080 and 2048x1536
I've not tested this on any earlier firmware.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Where did you find to set the resolution so high for email notifications? I've been unable to accomplish this since I bought the NVR.
This was on a camera - I haven't tried the NVR. Perhaps I should.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Schedule Settings/Capture/Capture Parameters/Enable Event-Triggered Snapshot? Will the settings there be reflected in the email? Hikvision told me that the NVR's CPU couldn't handle sending anything larger. I've never enabled this and I'm still getting pics. I'll give it a try.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're right Alastair, the max resolution in my NVR is 704x576 but the cam gives the full stream resolution, three quality settings and interval settings by millisecond. We'll see it it chokes the NVR, I'll bet it will, or the NVR just ignores the cam settings.

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You're right Alastair, the max resolution in my NVR is 704x576 but the cam gives the full stream resolution, three quality settings and interval settings by millisecond. We'll see it it chokes the NVR, I'll bet it will, or the NVR just ignores the cam settings.
Disable email alerts on the NVR. The cameras alerts are, as you have discovered, far better than those on the NVR.
I have only used NVR email alerts temporarily, when camera FW had an email bug some months back.
I can't imagine that these (camera) settings will have any impact on your NVR performance. Camera should ideally communicate directly with your ISP as per email settings.
I have all my cameras setup for both email alerts and FTP transfer, and I am on mobile broadband (4G). Works perfectly.

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you disable the email alerts in the NVR are the pics in the email alert directly from the camera in the larger resolution? Can't get that to work...
The alerts from the NVR and cameras are not related. They must be set up seperately, but I see no point in setting it up on the NVR, when it has these obvious limitations.
IMO forget about the NVR alerts and login to your camera instead and play with the settings. Start with your network/gateway/DNS/email settings, and continue to the event schedules and settings.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The alerts from the NVR and cameras are not related. They must be set up seperately, but I see no point in setting it up on the NVR, when it has these obvious limitations.
IMO forget about the NVR alerts and login to your camera instead and play with the settings. Start with your network/gateway/DNS/email settings, and continue to the event schedules and settings.
Yes, I've done this all but the email pictures remain at 704x576 resolution. My question is has anyone successfully set up and received larger resolution email photos from the camera.

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, it works perfectly for me in hi-res, when sent from the cameras.
In the email body you can see, which device it comes from. Please confirm that you aren't still receiving from your NVR?

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the camera network settings what do I change besides the router gateway address since the cam is getting it's IP address from the NVR and is on a different subnet?

elprebse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the camera network settings what do I change besides the router gateway address since the cam is getting it's IP address from the NVR and is on a different subnet?
I use static IPs for all cameras. Whole network in same range/subnet.

Gateway = router IP
Make sure that your DNS settings are valid. I am using the ones from my ISP (not Google DNS).
Check/test your SMTP/email settings as final thing. Are you receiving the test email?

To better assist you, please share a little more (menu pictures/settings). I can't follow your actions.