How to load VPN on Raspberry Pi?

Cat5Hurricane

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have almost finished setting up my home video security system. All that I am lacking to finish is to put a VPN on my router. Unfortunately, I can not add to the existing router. From my understanding, I can load a VPN on a Raspberry Pi, but I am not sure what the difference is between the commercial VPN I run off my current computer and what a VPN I would load onto this would be or how to arrange it. I currently have the other computer plugged into the router and the cameras into a PoE connected to a second NIC card which is not connected to the internet. So would I add this between the router and the computer or the PoE and the computer? Seems like the first. From my understanding, it is to prevent hackers from accessing the computer even though the cameras are not? Step by step instructions or where to go to educate myself would be greatly appreciated. Asking because it appears there is a deal on slickdeals for one. Would this be sufficient for my needs?

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you using Blue Iris or a NVR box?
If you have a computer already running BlueIris, you can just make a Virtual Machine using Hyper V to run Raspbian and OpenVPN and don't need to buy a Pi.

Read this to understand what VPN can do for you.

Cat5Hurricane

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using Blue Iris or a NVR box?
If you have a computer already running BlueIris, you can just make a Virtual Machine using Hyper V to run Raspbian and OpenVPN and don't need to buy a Pi.

Read this to understand what VPN can do for you.
BlueIris...I will check out the link. Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
When I tried setting up OpenVPN on my Linksys WRT1900AC router I was getting warning messages about an insecure cipher. Given the router was the 1st version I was unable to update the cipher. I then setup OpenVPN on my Synology DS220+ NAS. No errors or warnings.... Do you have one kicking around?