How to read BVR metadata outside of Blue Iris?

gmartin808

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in reading out the metadata from the BVR direct-to-disc files, specifically the time stamp information, without having to load the files in Blue Iris. Does anyone any code or functions in Python or other 3rd party software that can help with this?

Thanks,

DEADBEEF

n3wb
Reaction score
I looked into this a while back but it looks like BI uses a proprietary database format.
At least I couldn't figure out how to read the db or bvr files.

My use case was that I wanted to 'manually'* add / import footage to the db from mobile recording devices (eg. dashcam & body cameras).

Files from these devices are created with the name of the device and a timestamp. I was looking for a way to import footage into BI so each device would show up as a camera, and footage can be scrubbed through on the timeline view, playback of multiple devices can be synchronised, etc.

...*By 'manually' I mean via an external program that watches for an SD card to be inserted, checks for valid filenames then copies the files and adds them to the BI database.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in reading out the metadata from the BVR direct-to-disc files, specifically the time stamp information, without having to load the files in Blue Iris. Does anyone any code or functions in Python or other 3rd party software that can help with this?

Thanks,
The BVR format is proprietary and I don't know of any documentation for it. You would have to ask the developer, but he's always super busy so I wouldn't have high expectations about it.

I looked into this a while back but it looks like BI uses a proprietary database format.
At least I couldn't figure out how to read the db or bvr files.

My use case was that I wanted to 'manually'* add / import footage to the db from mobile recording devices (eg. dashcam & body cameras).

Files from these devices are created with the name of the device and a timestamp. I was looking for a way to import footage into BI so each device would show up as a camera, and footage can be scrubbed through on the timeline view, playback of multiple devices can be synchronised, etc.

...*By 'manually' I mean via an external program that watches for an SD card to be inserted, checks for valid filenames then copies the files and adds them to the BI database.
I don't have any kind words to say about Blue Iris's clip database.

Hopefully some day he switches to SQLite or something. Then it would in theory be usable concurrently from third-party apps so you could actually try such a thing as that.

gmartin808

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm digging around the bvr files with a hex editor and I can see some time stamp information embedded. I may be able to write some code that will pull this out...