How to repair a dislodged lense ribbon?

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Hikvision DS-2CD2085FWD-I-4MM decided to commit suicide and fell. I opened up the camera and it appears as the lens ribbon became dislodged from its connection. I have tried numerous times to place it back into the connection but I am unable to. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to repair the camera I would appreciate it. Also if anyone knows of any repair stores in the USA that could fix this I will gladly take any information. Thanks.20190106_104406.jpg 20190106_104443.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On the connector - there should be 2 main components at each end -
The connector body soldered in to the board, with the contacts showing, coming vertically from the board.
A movable, hinged, plastic 'keeper' that when pushed into place in its slot compresses the flex cable against the contacts and holds it in place.

So the reconnect would be as follows, assuming the keeper is still in place -
Move the keeper away from the contacts.
Insert the flex cable into the connector with the contact fingers adjacent to the contacts in the connector.
Ensuring the flex is fully home (you ideally need 3 hands for this ...) twist up the keeper and push it down into its slot.
This will hold the flex contacts sprung against the connector contacts.
After this, the flex should be securely in place, and should not come out when gently pulled.

If the plastic keeper has the hinge tabs at the ends broken, that won't affect it's operation, it just makes it a bit harder to hold in place when inserting the flex.

If the plastic keeper is missing - cut a thin piece of plastic to size and use it instead.
It can be longer than the original, along the flex length, for ease of insertion.
I've used the thin plastic from a milk bottle for this purpose, but any slightly flexible plastic will do.

Hope that helps.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On the connector - there should be 2 main components at each end -
The connector body soldered in to the board, with the contacts showing, coming vertically from the board.
A movable, hinged, plastic 'keeper' that when pushed into place in its slot compresses the flex cable against the contacts and holds it in place.

So the reconnect would be as follows, assuming the keeper is still in place -
Move the keeper away from the contacts.
Insert the flex cable into the connector with the contact fingers adjacent to the contacts in the connector.
Ensuring the flex is fully home (you ideally need 3 hands for this ...) twist up the keeper and push it down into its slot.
This will hold the flex contacts sprung against the connector contacts.
After this, the flex should be securely in place, and should not come out when gently pulled.

If the plastic keeper has the hinge tabs at the ends broken, that won't affect it's operation, it just makes it a bit harder to hold in place when inserting the flex.

If the plastic keeper is missing - cut a thin piece of plastic to size and use it instead.
It can be longer than the original, along the flex length, for ease of insertion.
I've used the thin plastic from a milk bottle for this purpose, but any slightly flexible plastic will do.

Hope that helps.
Thanks! I'll try this out and see if it works

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try this out and see if it works
I couldn't confirm seeing the contacts on your image - but the flex looks like standard, there is no plug on the end of it.
And if the 'keeper' is missing - check in the camera body.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I couldn't confirm seeing the contacts on your image - but the flex looks like standard, there is no plug on the end of it.
And if the 'keeper' is missing - check in the camera body.
I think you are correct about the keeper being absent. As I get older and my eyes get worse and my fingers get fatter I HATE working on those, Seems whenever I have to repair a laptop it is he worst part of the job for me.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
As I get older and my eyes get worse and my fingers get fatter I HATE working on those, Seems whenever I have to repair a laptop it is he worst part of the job for me.
I second that statement! The thing that amazes me is how these ribbon cables and connectors continue to work after all the abuse I put them through.