How to safely test temp height before mounting ?

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to see if someone has any pictures or ideas how to test Like A Heavy PTZ camera on a spot that I am thinking to put in before drilling any holes.

I know in the past Looney has given me a advice to
"Use a 2x4, 5gal bucket and rocks."

How-ever I am not sure How to execute it.. Any pics or any more ideas to try this ? I am sorry have never done this before.. So just wanted to be safe before I try it because of the camera being heavy and expensive.

I have the SD6CE245U-HNI so it has quiet some weight.. Was wondering How exactly can I say test it on a ladder on a height I kind of want .. before I start drilling holes.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to see if someone has any pictures or ideas how to test Like A Heavy PTZ camera on a spot that I am thinking to put in before drilling any holes.

I know in the past Looney has given me a advice to
"Use a 2x4, 5gal bucket and rocks."

How-ever I am not sure How to execute it.. Any pics or any more ideas to try this ? I am sorry have never done this before.. So just wanted to be safe before I try it because of the camera being heavy and expensive.

I have the SD6CE245U-HNI so it has quiet some weight.. Was wondering How exactly can I say test it on a ladder on a height I kind of want .. before I start drilling holes.
Hi Tech,

Yes, that camera does have some weight to it. I would first try lighter IP cameras at the end of a 2x4, while it is not perfect - just turning the 2x4 around will give you at least a starting idea of a good spot.

Then you can try a better test with the actual PTZ

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Tech,

Yes, that camera does have some weight to it. I would first try lighter IP cameras at the end of a 2x4, while it is not perfect - just turning the 2x4 around will give you at least a starting idea of a good spot.

Then you can try a better test with the actual PTZ
Awesome, How do I put the 2x4 say on a ladder ? at 10 ft height or 11 ? Is there a trick to that ? Or like how do I hang the bucket with 2by4 on a ladder to test that height ?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome, How do I put the 2x4 say on a ladder ? at 10 ft height or 11 ? Is there a trick to that ? Or like how do I hang the bucket with 2by4 on a ladder to test that height ?
Hi @tech101

I would skip the ladder and just use a longer 2x4 and more solid base - I would probably make a 2x4 X like what you see on Christmas trees and some sand bags

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The bucket method.
5 gal bucket, 2x4 at the length you need.
Drill two holes in the 2x4 and matching holes in the side of bucket.
Bolt the 2x4 to the bucket using fender washers under the nut inside the bucket.
Fill the bucket with rocks, bag's of rocks, bricks or a bag or two of cement which is 80lbs each.
Leave cement in the bag for easy removal.
Mount the camera's bracket on the 2x4 so it hangs over the bucket.
Place rig in ideal position.
Using 3 guy wires, attach them to near the top of the 2x4, but not high enough to interfere with the camera.
Then use tent stakes driven into the ground to attach the guy lines to, or attach to whatever is handy.
Now Mount camera to bracket.

Guy lines/wires can be made with rope. Tent stakes available at Walmart in sporting goods.

Last edited:

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
So ended up using 2x6 because of the mount width. And it was a 14 ft 2x6 .. It worked out great to get a height idea..

And use some Nut bolts and washers .. to kind of just hold it in place.. Instead of screw.. So that way nut can be easily hand tight and loose as needed.

Thank you everyone..

Here are some pics.. IMG_3094.jpg IMG_3089.jpg