How to set up the correct time settings

basti76nie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

how to setup the time correctly?

When i'm using a HikVision NVR together with some HikVision Cameras I can adjust the time settings inside the NVR and also inside the camera.

So in both devices i use a NTP Server, selected the correct time zone and activated the DST (60Mintues).

On the OnScreen Text Overlay i see the wrong time because the system add 2 x 60Minuted DST.

So what's the correct way to set the time?
Do I have to set the time inside the NVR or only in the camera?

Regards Bastian

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So in both devices i use a NTP Server, selected the correct time zone and activated the DST (60Mintues).
That is the correct way, given an accessible NTP server for all devices. Was the one you specified out on the internet?
If the cameras are on NVR PoE ports by default they will not be able to reach the internet.
Does the camera and NVR web GUI have a 'Test' button for the NTP settings?

basti76nie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes normally I use the subnet of the NVR to connect the camera to the System.
So maybe it could help to enter the correct DNS Server inside the camera settings.

So the DNS will be in this case 192.168.254.1 (the NVR)

Is this correct?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So the DNS will be in this case 192.168.254.1 (the NVR)
No, the NVR does not provide DNS services, that's the PoE interface IP address.
It sounds like the NVR has the Virtual Host facility and you are using it.
In which case, as an experiment, set the camera default gateway to 192.168.254.1 and the DNS to your LAN gateway/router (maybe 192.168.1.1) and see if that works.
If you want the cameras to access an internet time server directly you will have to add a static route to your gateway/router, something like:
"For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0) use <NVR_LAN_interface_IP_address> as the gateway"

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure the time zone is correct. On my Dahua nvr the time zone is in a different section than the ntp settings, but for some reason it has to be the correct tome zone for it to display properly.

basti76nie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Of course, the time zone is correct:)

I would prefer a option to use the NVR as a NTP Server for the camera!

I will try all of your ideas - thank you

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just disable DST on the cameras.

I am not sure that is a "bug", since it has been this way for ages and never been fixed. But if you have DST enabled on both NVR and cameras, when you add the cameras to the NVR the DST time difference will be added, resulting in cameras that are off by one hour.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just disable DST on the cameras.

I am not sure that is a "bug", since it has been this way for ages and never been fixed. But if you have DST enabled on both NVR and cameras, when you add the cameras to the NVR the DST time difference will be added, resulting in cameras that are off by one hour.
Yeah, I've struggled with this for years. It's a unique problem for my Hiks, my Dahua's and Flir's (probably the same thing) have no issue with DST. As you can see, the NVR is authoritative and pushes the time to the cameras. The Hiks will always be off until DST ends.
I really wish Hikvision can correct this soon.