How to set up unknown camera with a known URL

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DVR that is a cheap chinese unit with no "Brand" name. I can access the outputs of the H264 video stream by using the following URL
"http://Admin@192.168.1.114:80/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi?chn=0&u=Admin&p="

I can also get a MPEG output with this URL "http://Admin@192.168.1.114:80/mjpeg"

I found these URLs from the iSpy software, and the video streams to iSpy software just fine. I can also stream the video to VLC media player. I would like to use Blue Iris, but I can't figure out how to set up a camera using that URL. I would prefer to use the H264 feed.

Is there any way to set up a camera with a url instead of the camera setup dialog box?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
select RTSP h.264/mjepg at the top of the dropdown list
enter the correct ip address, user name and password..http port and rtsp port
In the path section enter /cgi-bi...hn=0&u=Admin&p=
replace the word admin with the actual user name if other than admin
if the password is currently blank then dont change anything else...if you have a password enter it after the p=
if the url worked in ispy, dont change any passwords until you get it working in blue iris

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for helping me fenderman.

I still can't get this working.

Here is the exact path that works in iSpy
"http://Admin@192.168.1.114:80/cgi-bin/view.cgi?chn=1&u=Admin&p="

in the "Network IP camera configuration" dialog box of Blue Iris here is what I have set.

"IP or host name" = 192.168.1.114
HTTP port" = 80
"User" = Admin
"HTTPS (if possible)" box is NOT checked
"Media/video/RTSP port" = 554 (I have tried 80, 554, and 10554)
"Password" = (there is not password set yet on the device so I left this blank)
"Make/Model;" = RTSP H.264/MJPG/MPEG4
"Attempt auto-configure....." = 80 (I have tried 80, 554, and 10554)
"Path" = /cgi-bin/view.cgi?chn=1&u=Admin&p=
"Params" =
"Camera" = 0 (I have tried 0 1 and 2--It is a dvr so by changing the "chn=1" in the path I can select different cameras.

Do I have something wrong in a setting?

Thanks as always for the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Post a screenshot of the configuration page...as its set now..
Then try putting the whole path in http://Admin@192.168.1.114:80/cgi-bin/view.cgi?chn=1&u=Admin&p= not sure if that will work at all tough..
You may also want to download ipcamview by robert chou, (android, ios) there is a scan function that will show "compatible" dvr's one of those may be on the list.

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
Attached is the screenshop of the configuration page. I haven't had any luck trying different configurations with all sorts of cameras from the list. I did download IPCAMVIEW on my phone and scanned my dvr. It listed some cameras (ASC K9104, Celius IP18W, Celius IP61W, Tenvis Mini IP Camera, and Zmodo ZMD-DT-SFN6, and one dvr called "JA7216NC DVR". I did have one glimmer of hope when I chose the "Celius IP18W MJPEG" from Blue Iris. This appears to be a mjpeg type of setup where you receive jpeg images from the DVR vs the H264 feed. The only issue is I can only view channel 0. I have played around with trying to view other channels and can't get that to work.
Here is a screen shot of the Celius setup.

Is there any way to go "back door" and set up a camera on my own. Can I edit the windows registry where the camera information is stored? I would use iSpy, but I want to integrate with my Vera home automation system, and there is a plugin for Blue Iris.

Thanks as always

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would email support give him the info you have and he may just be able to tell you how to properly enter it...if not you can give him access to the dvr...you will need to port forward the dvr and give him full access to it..
If you are comfortable using wireshark or fiddler you can sniff out the stream yourself...
you may just have the wrong rtsp port...download fing on your phone it will find the dvr, use the scan services function to see what ports its broadcasting under...

pigmax

n3wb
Reaction score
I downloaded fling on my phone. The only ports the DVR is showing is port 80 and port 23.

I emailed blue Iris to see if they had any suggestions. It appears I need to find a camera that has the same URL format as what I have. The problem with Blue Iris is they hide all that stuff and just give you variable boxes when you setup a camera. You don't get to see how they format those variables to the stream.

They need to add the ability to input a URL instead of picking from a camera list when setting up a camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded fling on my phone. The only ports the DVR is showing is port 80 and port 23.

I emailed blue Iris to see if they had any suggestions. It appears I need to find a camera that has the same URL format as what I have. The problem with Blue Iris is they hide all that stuff and just give you variable boxes when you setup a camera. You don't get to see how they format those variables to the stream.

They need to add the ability to input a URL instead of picking from a camera list when setting up a camera.
...the default rtsp stream allows you to enter any variable you need...try putting Admin@ in front of the ip address
can you get the stream if you take out the admin@ on ispy or vlc?