How to span drives to appear as one larger drive?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am considering adding a 4TB or larger WD purple drive to my BI computer. I have a 2TB drive but it fills in about 10 days. (BI itself uses a separate smaller SD drive for the program and db).
I have added drives to computers before ...but they are separate drives.
How do I add new drives so the computer and BI would see it as one large drive for storage?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am considering adding a 4TB or larger WD purple drive to my BI computer. I have a 2TB drive but it fills in about 10 days. (BI itself uses a separate smaller SD drive for the program and db).
I have added drives to computers before ...but they are separate drives.
How do I add new drives so the computer and BI would see it as one large drive for storage?
How to combine multiple hard drives into one volume on Windows 10

Instructions are for windows 10 but it is pretty similar if not exactly the same for all recent version of windows. If one Drive fails I believe you loose all of your data, much like RAID 0, which is also an option if your hardware supports it. Why not put New Clips on 2TB drive and Stored clips on 4TB drive? That way if one drive fails you don't loose all your footage? I mean I guess it really doesn't matter in most cases but you never know. At least you wouldn't loose everything should one drive fail.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks
I though I read I had to keep the exact existing folder paths created when I set up BI but if not that seems like a good idea.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks
I though I read I had to keep the exact existing folder paths created when I set up BI but if not that seems like a good idea.
a better solution would be to split the cameras to different drives..

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did not know that was an option either.
I'll search the help file about it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did not know that was an option either.
I'll search the help file about it.
in clips, create two auxiliary folders, point one to each drive, in the camera record tab set cams to the folder you wish...