How to "stick" frame rate in cam properties?

v2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, when I change frame rate at 500000 [20.00 fps], then BI change it after some hours or days (I don't know when, I open BI, check cam properties and see tha frame rate is 333667 [29.97 fps (NTSC)]).
I think it change setting when start to record a new clip.
How can I stick this option and save it permanently?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of the really dumb things about Blue Iris. Blue Iris does not control camera frame rates. You need to change the frame rate in your camera's web interface.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean you can just ignore the frame rate option in Blue Iris, because it uses that frame rate to allocate a frame buffer or something. Set it too low and Blue Iris will drop frames, causing at best a bit of stuttering, or at worst, outright video corruption in recordings. This is why Blue Iris auto-adjusts the FPS value upward. If it consistently sees a higher frame rate coming from the camera than it expects, it adjusts the frame rate setting upward to match. Unfortunately, sometimes a camera's frame rate is a tiny bit inconsistent. Say you set it to 10 FPS in the camera and 10 FPS in Blue Iris. Maybe sometimes the camera sends 11 FPS due to mathematical rounding errors and whatnot, and that causes Blue Iris to drop a frame because Blue Iris has only made room for 10 FPS. So you actually should set the frame rate in Blue Iris a few FPS higher than you set it in the camera. E.g. 15 FPS in the camera -> 17 FPS in Blue Iris. This will allow Blue Iris to gracefully handle any spikes in frame rate from the camera.

You also should be recording with the direct to disk option.

v2017

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for reply, now I have set camera to 15 fps (through Internet Exolorer interface) and Blue Iris at 500000 [20.00 fps] but, when start a new clip, it changes setting and videos are plenty of graphical errors and drop frames. I record with direct to disk option.
I can't set BI to 22 fps or some (setting won't stick), only to 400000 [25.00 fps] or 500000 [20.00 fps].
When i set 500000 [20.00 fps], first clip is fine but the others are unacceptable because BI change settings (cam: D-Link DCS-935L).
I don't understand why we can't stick this setting, I paid more than 70 euro for full version... I think I have to buy a synology nas with Surveillance Station...

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to enter a custom FPS number that isn't in the dropdown, well, Blue Iris doesn't handle that well either. You need to enter the big number which is actually calculated as 10000000 (10 million) divided by FPS. e.g. for 17 FPS you'd have to enter 588235 because 10000000 / 17 = 588235. I know, it is ridiculous the hoops you must jump through to get Blue Iris running optimally these days. I've been saying for years the FPS setting should not even exist in Blue Iris (except when you use cameras that BI can actually control the frame rate on). Yet it is still there, causing trouble when you least expect it.

Before you go spending a bunch on synology camera licenses, try XProtect® Essential | Milestone Systems -- It is free for up to 8 cameras and is generally very well regarded.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for reply, now I have set camera to 15 fps (through Internet Exolorer interface) and Blue Iris at 500000 [20.00 fps] but, when start a new clip, it changes setting and videos are plenty of graphical errors and drop frames. I record with direct to disk option.
I can't set BI to 22 fps or some (setting won't stick), only to 400000 [25.00 fps] or 500000 [20.00 fps].
When i set 500000 [20.00 fps], first clip is fine but the others are unacceptable because BI change settings (cam: D-Link DCS-935L).
I don't understand why we can't stick this setting, I paid more than 70 euro for full version... I think I have to buy a synology nas with Surveillance Station...
There are no less than 5 threads discussing this issue that post solutions..you simply need to read them and implement them..
For example, have you matched the iframe interval to fps?
increased the receive buffer to 20mb?
Set windows to high performance?
Also since the camera is low resolution you should be able to disable direct to disk until you get this sorted with minimal impact on cpu..

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using the newest version? I set all my cams at 15fps and bi to 17, I actually type 17 and hit the tab key and it sticks just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk