How to stop SWANN Secure Cloud streaming

Reaction score
I have got this real big issue with SWANN streaming into their secure cloud.

To set set scene:
We are running 5 NVR 8580 systems with 8 cameras each - ie a total of 40 cameras. The cameras are set to continous recording (for a specific reason) and are set to be accessed by various users from off-site via HomeSafe View which works perfect. However, sometime over the past 18 months or so, SWANN has introduced this new Swann Security system. To use that system one creates an account in the SWANN cloud and then links either cameras or NVR systems to that account. That also works fine but has other effects that are unusable for our application - hence none of our systems are now connected to the Swann Security cloud as HomeSafe View works just fine as is.
The site where these 40 cameras reside has no access to the Internet via fibre highspeed connection, we are forced to use Wireless Broadband instead.

Here is the problem:
Since the introduction of that Swann Security cloud-based system all 40 cameras are continually updating the SWANN cloud for a rolling 7-day storage in the cloud. This is an absolute killer on data usage on the Wireless Broadband and is costing a lot of $$$'s so much so that we have to disconnect the entire system from online access after about 15 .. 20 days because of data plan exhaustion.

Therefor the question is:
Not knowing exactly how the Swann Security system actually gets its data (push or pull) would there be a way to setup the Wireless Broadband router Firewall to stop the stream to/form the Swann Security cloud BUT leave access via HomeSafe View working as intended?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow - the bigger question is did they roll out a feature that forces the cameras to see their cloud to work?

When you disconnect the entire system from the internet, do you lose the cameras within your own LAN (I recognize you would lose remote viewing)?

If the cameras still work without an internet connection, then I would suggest deleting them from Homesafe View and setup and host a VPN like OpenVPN (not a paid VPN) that is native to some routers.

Then add them back to Homesafe using their LAN IP address of your home wifi (so 192.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x) and not by serial number or QR code. This will then keep them from streaming to the cloud, but you would have to VPN back into your system to view them remotely.

Reaction score
Thanks for reply - that was quick !!
Cameras work fine with Internet disconnected. Problem is we still need the network for other purposes - ie the owner takes in Backpackers for work (an Australian Government requirement for extended VISA stays) and they want network access for email, browsing video streamig etc
That makes the entire scenario more complex ... may even have to get an intelligent switch in between that I can setup for port or IP blocking ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With my suggestion, they would still have the network for other purposes. You are not disabling the internet.

Setting up the VPN and blocking the camera system from the internet will prevent the cameras from touching the cloud. The only time the cameras would use your internet is when you VPN back into the system to see the cameras.

If you setup port or IP blocking, then you won't see the cameras remote.

VPN is what most of us use so that we can see the cameras remotely. Allowing the camera system to touch the internet is how you get hacked.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for reply - that was quick !!
Cameras work fine with Internet disconnected. Problem is we still need the network for other purposes - ie the owner takes in Backpackers for work (an Australian Government requirement for extended VISA stays) and they want network access for email, browsing video streamig etc
That makes the entire scenario more complex ... may even have to get an intelligent switch in between that I can setup for port or IP blocking ..
note you may want to hire a network consultant to help you with this ..