How to stream Hik 2032 to Youtube Live

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys! I would like to stream my Hik 2032 via "Youtube Live". The Youtube source selector does not recognize it as a webcam (like it would a USB webcam) and Youtube only seems to accept RTMP streaming files. I see no way to make Youtube "grab" the video stream from the Hik.

For some devices, I use Flash Media Encoder which seems to work well with Youtube, but unfortunately I can't seem to even get the Hikvision IP Cam as a source for Flash Media Encoder.

Is there some type of free software that would send the stream to Youtube as if it were a webcam? Or at least send the stream to Flash Media Encoder so that it can re-encode it to a Youtube acceptable format?

An alternative method I've been doing is putting the Hik Cam full screen and then using a screen capture software...It works as a "redneck duct tape" style solution, but the downside is this requires leaving the computer dedicated to monitoring the cam. I'd like to be able to work on other things with the computer and have the Hikvision's video feed pushed to Youtube in the background.

Thanks for any help you could provide!

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
did you ever find a way to do this? I want to do the same...
No luck here. Using VLC, I can't even get a steady viewing stream, much less figure out how to push to Youtube. Perhaps that FFMpeg thing would be an option, although it will take a bit of studying as everything looks Greek to me at first glance. Apparently you have to create some type of scripts from what it's looking like to me and I'm not much on computer programming.

Alax.info website has similar capabilities. I've downloaded it, but I've yet to be able to make any sense of the files it put on my computer!

I have found some paid solutions that claim they will do the job...but as far as free stuff goes, it looks like using a dedicated PC to display the video and using a screen capturing program on that computer is the only simple way.

It seems like it would be easy to incorporate this feature into software or even add the ability to grab IP Cam streams directly on the Youtube upload platform, but I get the feeling that Youtube and other free streaming services would rather their platforms not be used for 24/7 IP Cam streaming. I imagine they figure that a streaming security camera is not something that would be very attractive to the general public for long term viewing and they'd rather not waste resources on hosting them. That's the only reason I can think of for there not being any easy solutions. Although it doesn't really make much sense because one can just as easily use a USB webcam that is compatible with Youtube and have it as a 24/7 security camera, so why discriminate against IP cameras?

By the way, from what I've gathered, the way screen capture devices work is because they use Directshow filters and those are compatible. Seems if someone could find (or make?) a Directshow filter that would grab the IP Cam stream, that would solve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the reason streaming sites don't pull streams from users is mostly that users are generally not capable of configuring their routers and firewalls to make the stream accessible.

You don't need to create scripts to use ffmpeg. You can simply open a command prompt in the folder where ffmpeg.exe resides and begin tinkering with the commands.

Or you can create a text file, rename it "something.bat" and then right click and edit the file. Put a command in there and save, then double click the bat file to run it.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I read in a couple places that people couldn't get VLC's rtmp output to work with youtube live.

ffmpeg may be worth looking at though: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/EncodingForStreamingSites

More links that may contain insight:

https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-April/020823.html
https://gist.github.com/olasd/9841772
I gave this a try, but still having some trouble. The encoding seems to be working fine from what I can tell as the command prompt adds a new line of text giving a file size, frame rate, etc.....On the Youtube interface, it shows the stream status as "good" for about the first 20 or 30 seconds and then it changes to "no data" and gives an error at the top "we are not receiving data from your encoder"... clicking the video preview will not load anything (even during the first 30 seconds where it says the stream is good)....Not sure where to go from here...

capousekd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, we can not do it on Hikvision (yet), but we have a nice solution for AXIS. http://camstreamer.com ... small application sits right on the camera and streams directly to YouTube Live. Check CamStreamer channel on YouTube for many live cameras powered by CamStreamer.

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What if i could do this on HikVision? How much you can pay? :)

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey guys! I would like to stream my Hik 2032 via "Youtube Live". The Youtube source selector does not recognize it as a webcam (like it would a USB webcam) and Youtube only seems to accept RTMP streaming files. I see no way to make Youtube "grab" the video stream from the Hik.

For some devices, I use Flash Media Encoder which seems to work well with Youtube, but unfortunately I can't seem to even get the Hikvision IP Cam as a source for Flash Media Encoder.

Is there some type of free software that would send the stream to Youtube as if it were a webcam? Or at least send the stream to Flash Media Encoder so that it can re-encode it to a Youtube acceptable format?

An alternative method I've been doing is putting the Hik Cam full screen and then using a screen capture software...It works as a "redneck duct tape" style solution, but the downside is this requires leaving the computer dedicated to monitoring the cam. I'd like to be able to work on other things with the computer and have the Hikvision's video feed pushed to Youtube in the background.

Thanks for any help you could provide!

Some newer IP Cameras don't have an MJPEG or MJPG output, but instead use RTSP. Here is a workflow to convert RTSP to native USB with the free VLC Player and some free plugins for VLC. (Thanks to user Phil)
- Receive RTSP Camera stream in VLC Player
- VLC Player video output set to VCAM VLC plugin (from E2E Soft)
- VCAM Manager is receiving VLC output, and makes it available as virtual USB Camera on Device/Laptop/PC

IP camera to USB Stream software options:

I've seen people discuss the use of MiniCam however, I've never used it: https://download.manycam.com/

Other Alternatives I've heard about are the following, but again, I've never had to do this personally so I can not say one way or another if any work:
VMIX (free in SD, HD costs money) http://www.vmix.com.au/features.aspx
For VLC player: http://www.vlc2vcam.com/
http://ip-webcam.appspot.com/static/doc.html
http://www.webcamxp.com/home.aspx
For Mac OSX
http://www.camwizapp.com/Tuner.aspx

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is complete dead-end. There is a way to forward rtsp directly to Youtube with simple software installed in Hik camera.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
This is complete dead-end. There is a way to forward rtsp directly to Youtube with simple software installed in Hik camera.
@Speed666 many like you have come, gone, or been banned from the boards. You show up talk and about "how easy" something is then say "I'll do it for a price". These boards are about "helping one another", not for some smart ass to show up and try to make a few bucks. If you can help, help, if you just want to blow your own horn and talk about how "capable you are" without actually producing anything in return, go blow something other than your horn.

Cheers mate,
Zero

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cherrs, go and ban me. It's easy as i already did in other cameras. Problem with HIK that i have working example right now but without possibility to recreate the firmware - there will be no way to install this in YOUR camera. This is what am i working on right now. I loose very big amount of time trying to figure out how Hik blocked camera from downgrading, upgrading etc. Go - do it for yourself and we will see. Bad is that i can release this for free - its fun for me - but there are others that will sell it for money. And this hurts.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but without possibility to recreate the firmware
Dumb question - presumably you've looked at @wzhick Hiktools? Or are you working with the newer firmware encoding scheme that it does not support?

Speed666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, i work on latest 5.3 series firmware. Got already cracked AES encryption of lzma files and created repacker (too bad hiktools didnt release sources....), cfghsecpls structure is done. Now i test where it fails (firmware is accepted but camera is booting into boot-loop). There are maaany pitholes like psh, disabled uboot, disabled serial console, crc and sh1 checks. HIk did great job on this. Interesting why....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
HIk did great job on this. Interesting why....
It's a cat & mouse game - they are watching this forum closely to get ideas for future improved protection.
Which I do think is wrong - as the knowledge that's shared enables people to make better use of the products that they have bought, or gives confidence to buy more.
It's not like it's enabling optional features that you have to buy, so losing them revenue.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The fact that people try to charge for time they take is one thing, but to try and make big $£¥ is another. A lot of people have put a lot of time and effort into helping others in this forum and for free.

We have one big head in the forum we don't need another.

The reason they have done this is pressure from trade partners, so they can't charge what they think is the regional value of the Equipment. Good old fashioned price fixing.

zmx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
error