how to tell the camera to move when im not playing with it ? ( PTZ )

aaa dock

n3wb
Reaction score
seems with out having the ability to tell the camera to move and zoom when its not being monitored .. having a PTZ is a waste with out this feature.

Example Gate opening / Door opening / Someone standing at the door .

Looking at two cameras Sunba 601 20x and the starlight dahua 25x @ aliexpress
Both are same-ish price range

What am looking for.
PTZ response to an action -- Is that a function of the camera or the nvr ?
What if my nvr is BI ? Relays of some sort ? Pressure pads ? How does the signal get to the camera ? IO/ alarms is that what im looking for ?
Gave up on " on screen motion detection " . Not so much because of the false alarms .. but because the things i wanna see are not in the same frame and the reason i want the ptz in the first place I wanna see point A 99% of the time and have the camera to move and zoom to spots B,C,D if needed then back to home after a preset time Will any of my two choices of cameras do that ? Am i on the right track ?

what i want from my Camera.
this property has no streetlights anywhere near it . at light its pitch black.. just moonlight

to look at two gates one is 542 feet from where i want the camera mounted, the other gate is 670 feet away i want a wide zoomed out view just to get a view of the property 99% of the time.

then when ever a vehicle comes thru the gates i want to be able to zoom in the go back to " home "
dont need "auto tracking.. ok i do but im sure i can t afford it. lol

even at the widest view both gates are not in the same frame so im thinking their has to be a contact switch I can connect to the gate to tell the camera " hey look and zoom in on me.. "

thanks

phoe

n3wb
Reaction score
Not exactly what you're after but i was disappointed to find a Wanscam PTZ didn't have an automatic scan option - what i will be looking into is a PC based "trick" to force movement...

Basically, run their PC CMS software, and use another program / utility to simulate mouse clicks, thus forcing an automated movement loop i can preset to cover the areas i want.

Hope this makes sense :-}

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dahua has alarm inputs which you could hook to a driveway sensor, and a documented HTTP API which you can trigger via automation systems.. You can use inputs on NVR or directly on camera; sensors wired directly to camera tend to respond faster.

All External Sensors hooked directly to camera:

Doorbell Sensor hooked to NVR:

Sircam is garbage and not worth a flying fuck.. you should not even be considering it w/the Dahua at the same price range.

aaa dock

n3wb
Reaction score
Nayr. You had me up till this part "documented HTTP API" lol

What happened at your fence is exactly what im looking for. You opened and the camera moves to it i want to that at multiple spots. (Fences that arr closed 99.99999% of thier lives. I wanna see why they open when they do )

Can you direct me on what i would need?
Dahua startlight camera in my first post

Whats next ? Contacts ?
How do they wire up to the camera ?
How far can the wire be ? Any wireless options ?
My runn would be at least 500 ft to eaxh gate min.

But what the camera did when you opened the gate is what i need

Thanks for your input !

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HTTP API means you can send a command such as:
Code:
http://username:password@camera-host/cgi-bin/ptz.cgi?action=start&channel=0&code=GotoPreset&arg1=0&arg2=1&arg3=0
which will tell PTZ to go to preset #1, My home automation system uses calls such as these to control the PTZ as well.

The camera has 2 Alarm Inputs which are just dry contracts.. short em together, or open em up to trigger a response from camera.. there's no voltage to it, either its floating or grounded.. should work at some pretty far distances as long as resistance on wire is low... you can use wireless devices, or wired but wireless will require you to change out batteries so they dont stop working on you.. there's a whole array of sensors you can use, run-over tubes are my favorite for driveways.. no digging and extremely reliable.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The Dahua has alarm inputs which you could hook to a driveway sensor, and a documented HTTP API which you can trigger via automation systems.. You can use inputs on NVR or directly on camera; sensors wired directly to camera tend to respond faster.

All External Sensors hooked directly to camera:

Doorbell Sensor hooked to NVR:

Sircam is garbage and not worth a flying fuck.. you should not even be considering it w/the Dahua at the same price range.
wtf, amazon delivers to your house? lol

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sometimes, with the distribution warehouse they building in the area mebe more frequently.. if yer on west coast you can get same day delivery, hope that comes to the front range.