How to tell what make a re-branded camera is?

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

Currently finishing our new home and it was wired with Cat-6 for internet and cameras.
I consider myself knowledgeable in computers and computer hardware, but cameras are a different world, and so is networking setup. I need 4 cameras now, with the possibility of expansion. Not sure if I want/need to buy extra cameras right away...

I'd like a turnkey system and, like many other noobs, I'm considering Costco. So I came across three systems that interested me (put them in the Compare function but it doesn't compare much) :

Compare Products

I keep reading how some Costco cameras are rebranded Dahua's, which is a solid make. How can I tell?

Last edited:

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Going to google, typing swann rebranded dahua, i get this in the first link...

Companies That Rebrand/Resell:
Swann (Rebrands Hikvision Equipment)
Lorex (Rebrands Hikvision Equipment)
Q-See (Rebrands Dahua Equipment)
Toshiba (Appears To Rebrand Vivotek)
Cisco (Sometimes Rebrands Pelco)

You probably won't get too much help, since there are a ton of threads on here with people in your situation... I would recommend against any costco kit, or any "ready" to go kit if you want anything for Identification... if you are looking for something that just watches events around your house... have at it.

Damn supra owners! ;)

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I had read about that. I was just wondering if, for example, Swann sold only rebranded Hikvision equipment, or if it's only some of their products. In other words, when I see Swann, is it always and exclusively Hikvision?

And yeah the Supra is a nice car :p

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't answer that for sure, but I would assume... if I really cared, I'D find the camera part number or model specific to what I'm looking at and cross reference

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buy a Dahua NVR with POE and the Dahua cameras to do the job correctly. A Dahua POE NVR is plug and play. Just add a hard drive of your choice plug in the cat 6 line and your up and running. Pretty simple and you get way better equipment. You can contact ANDY and get pricing.

If you want future expansion go with the 5216( holds 2 HDD) NVR 16 ports .. If you want serious storage expansion capacity go with the 5416 ( Holds 4 HDD) .

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd like a turnkey system and, like many other noobs, I'm considering Costco.
My brother, who is a good DIY'er, but did not want to invest a lot of time and $$$ into a security cam system, bought a system like this from Costco a year ago when it was on sale for about $1k. USD. At the time I thought it was a good deal for a complete 8 cam, 3MP bullet cam system with 3TB-NVR and software. If you are not in a hurry, then keep a watch for Costco sales. He is happy with the system. Later, he did add two other Swann domes and a PTZ for LPR. Since he did not install all the bullet cams he has spares. I lent him my Ethernet cable termination tools so he could cut the per-terminated cables to length.

I did my IP cam system a la carte and certainly spent more time and $$$ than he did. So you have to decide how much time and energy you want to invest. If you want to tailor every cam for your situation, then buying separates is the way to go. If you truly want "turnkey" then a boxed all-in-one system is for you.

EDIT: The Swann cams I linked above are re-branded Hikvision.

Last edited:

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just remember when using a box system you still need to run wire that they may or may not supply. The wire you get in some of the box systems is not always the best stuff.

Why not go (a la cart) ... When you break down the cost difference now a days IMHO it really is not worth going with boxed system. Running Cat 6 provides you with much more expansion possibilities. Your camera options are endless. This forum has truly expanded my thinking of home security and if you read enough of the posts you will find out many new comers have been converted to the dark side but when it comes to camera's it more the LIGHT side as you can see things way better.

Some box systems are ok but if you are looking to get good quality video for protecting your goods and in my case making certain no one ever "bleeps" with my kids the only way to go is non boxed. Being able to review video and clear identify a person, vehicle or object is way more important to me then taking an extra 4 hrs to install a custom system.

When it comes down to it you need to decide what's better for you. Some of us on the forum don't really think twice about dropping 20 dollars more for a better product. The time we also invest in wiring properly the first time will server better for future upgrades.

Don't dismiss any advice you get. READ , RESEARCH and then Decide.

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I'm in Canada so the shipping rates with Aliexpress and currency rates just kill it.

EDIT: The Swann cams I linked above are re-branded Hikvision.
I don't see any links?

Just remember when using a box system you still need to run wire that they may or may not supply. The wire you get in some of the box systems is not always the best stuff.
I'm already wired with Cat6 for cameras. I just need to purchase the hardware.

When it comes down to it you need to decide what's better for you. Some of us on the forum don't really think twice about dropping 20 dollars more for a better product. The time we also invest in wiring properly the first time will server better for future upgrades.
Makes sense, I wouldn't hesitate either. I'm more overwhelmed by the amount of options and technical terms used in networking and programming the cameras. Also as I said in Canada it looks much more difficult to get anything custom, or maybe I'm looking at the wrong places.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see any links?
The link was the word "this". Here it is just in case: Costco Wholesale

This is not exactly what my brother installed since 4mp cams weren't available at that time, but it's essentially the same except for the cams. BTW, before the current low light cam offerings these bullet cams were very popular. Then the turret form factor became the new preference. If you go with a boxed system make sure you buy IP cam kit and not the cheaper analog cams.

It's great that you have prewired cat 6. I think you get that going with separates gives you a lot more customization options. Costco has a great return policy if you are not satisfied :)

Good luck on whatever you decide.

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I hadn't noticed the link. I'll look into it.
I understand that going with separates is better, but I'm overwhelmed by the amount of options and afraid I'd mismatch something. Although I'm good with computers I know almost nothing about networking or programming the cams and unfortunately I don't have much time to do the research because I'm in the process of finishing the construction of the new house + my full time job.

I wish I could do it, and I don't wanna rely on some company that will charge be double either.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I hadn't noticed the link. I'll look into it.
I understand that going with separates is better, but I'm overwhelmed by the amount of options and afraid I'd mismatch something. Although I'm good with computers I know almost nothing about networking or programming the cams and unfortunately I don't have much time to do the research because I'm in the process of finishing the construction of the new house + my full time job.

I wish I could do it, and I don't wanna rely on some company that will charge be double either.

Thanks for the advice.
Understand that by using those cameras you will not have any usable motion detection and in the warm summer months you will need to clear spiders off the bullets every other day, then youll be fine..

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't intend on buying bullet cameras but rather turrets or domes, but what about motion detection? It's listed in the specs; are you saying it's so bad you can't use it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't intend on buying bullet cameras but rather turrets or domes, but what about motion detection? It's listed in the specs; are you saying it's so bad you can't use it?
Domes are worse than bullets..you will not find turrets in those kits...
Yes, its worthless and hikvision only allows for 1 line of line crossing to be set...furthermore the spider webs on those bullets/domes/eyeballs will make any motion detection worthless...
Those cameras also dont provide the low light and night vision available from better cameras...

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand, thanks. Do you mind directing me towards a decent 8ch NVR and 5 turret cameras?
There are way too many choices on Aliexpress and I don't know where to start.
4 cameras on the corners of the house under soffits, 1 in the garage

Last edited:

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The 4MP cameras in the third package looks just like the Reolink RLC-420s I bought at first. If that is the case, I'd stay far away from them.

I found this forum looking for a better camera, and ended up with the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z as so many others :)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I understand, thanks. Do you mind directing me towards a decent 8ch NVR and 5 turret cameras?
You should of started off with a post like this! Can u provide a layout of the house? Maybe pic a pic of google maps? Andy from @EMPIRETECANDY can get you squared away with any dahua product you need (some require a little waiting but the price and service makes it worth it).

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The 4MP cameras in the third package looks just like the Reolink RLC-420s I bought at first. If that is the case, I'd stay far away from them.

I found this forum looking for a better camera, and ended up with the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z as so many others :)
Really? Reolink boss is one of my best friends, this guy before worked at Swan and now set up this brand, they do oem at a Swan OEM factory, quality not bad. But still as a toy camera actually speaking.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know you can get a Dahua 16ch POE NVR from ANDY for a good price. ANDY can hook you up with some really nice turret cams also.
As I said above Dahua POE NVR and cameras are plug and play.. Once you are up and running you can log into each camera and tweak them to the way you like . You can learn how to use all the cool features Dahua offers in the NVR and Camera's while you are recording in AWESOME quality.