How to test CAT6 cable for POE

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by freddyq, Dec 19, 2016.

Share This Page

1. freddyq

freddyq n3wb

Hi,

I have three CAT6 cables I had run to the front, side and back of my house as part of renovation work and before I go off and buy some IP cameras I just want to make sure there the cable will support power over ethernet. There is no reason why it wouldn't but I just want to be sure. So how do i go about testing?

Many thanks!

2. wantafastz28

wantafastz28 Pulling my weight

Put ends on the cable and buy something similar to this. TRENDnet TC-NT2 Cable Tester-Newegg.com

3. nayr

nayr Known around here

if you get a data link you'll get a PoE link.. dumb power is easy; its the signals that get messed up.. Plug a laptop into one end and run some bandwdith performance tests; if you can achieve full wire speeds w/out a bunch of network interface errors then its good to go.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    TechBill likes this.
  4. freddyq

freddyq n3wb

OK cool thanks guys. So if I plug a laptop in to the end which will go into the back of the camera and run the types of tests mentioned and receive no errors then I'm good to go...

5. TechBill

TechBill Pulling my weight

Correct

Run two test, first test at the router / switch then remaining test at each Ethernet cable end where the camera will connect to.

This way you will know if any Ethernet cable you ran into wall have interfences, break, or bad crossover.

Bill

6. freddyq

freddyq n3wb

Ex
    Excellent - thanks very much for confirming. Can the tests be done using online sites or should I download some kind of software?

7. nayr

nayr Known around here

use something on the network, your internet wont be nearly fast enough for stress testing an ethernet network.

personally I prefer to use trusty ole iperf, to check for interface errors on windows I believe you use netstat -s from cmd, for unixes including MacOS run ifconfig from a shell

Run an iperf server on one end of the cable and an iperf client on the other end of the cable and have it churn data down the line for at least 5mins or so, then you can repeat the test transferring data in the other direction just to be thorough..

if you have any fluorescent ballasts or anything high voltage running near the cabling make sure they are on when your testing.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  8. freddyq

freddyq n3wb

Ah cool. OK that all makes sense. Thanks @nayr. I will get a move on with crimping on the ends so i can do the testing...

Tags: