HOw to turn off IR without changing camera to day mode

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've read that the IR LEDs can be turned off. But I can't figure out how to do it.

I log into my Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P NVR. Then I go to Configuration, Camera Management, IP Camera. My cameras are three DS-2CD2032-I Bullets and one DS-2CD2332-I 2.8mm Outdoor Turret

I log into the camera.

The only setting I can find that turns off the IR is setting the camera to day mode. This results in the camera staying in color mode even at night (not surprising). I have an external IR illuminator, but the camera, which is in day mode, does not benefit from the IR.

I want the Camera IR off for a couple of reasons: 1) to locate external IR some distance away to reduce false recording due to bugs. 2) I have 1 camera indoors pointed out a window, the camera IR reflects off the glass making the image a complete wash out once the camera's IR turns on.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nothing like posting a question, only to figure out the answer on my own...

I was looking in the Advanced Configuration, Image. After a lot of menu clicking I found what I was looking for under Advanced Configuration. System, Service tab. There I found the heading "Hardware" with a check box under it called "Enable IR Light". Unchecking the box turned off the IR and I set the camera back to Auto under Image, Day?Night Switch. Now my camera can see out the window without being blinded and the external IR will "lure" the little buggies away. :)

By the way, I just received 2 external IR illuminators by Wrightwood Surveillance, very impressed (after 2 hours of use). :) If they last long tern, I say they are well worth the money. Bought a cheapo CMVision and it died in less than 6 months. The Wrightwoods illumate way better than the CMVision.

Wow! The IR illumination with just one Wrightwood is amazing!

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Same camera, about 5 weeks later. I recommended Hikvision to a friend. He just got his system and loves it. I mentioned turning off IR and using an external IR unit. In preparation, I logged into one of my cameras to refresh my memory on turning off IR (I also made a cheat sheet with screen captures at the original time of this thread). Had no problem navigating to the screen with the Enable IR Light check box. However now it does not respond. I did click Save after changing the check box. So I tried a more recent EXIR dome camera. IT responds almost immediately, like my bullets did over a month ago. Now none of my 3 2032-I bullets respond. The only way I can get them to respond is to change the check box, click save, then go to the Maintenance tab and reboot the camera. Once it reboots, the IR is as selected on the Service tab. I have not updated any firmware on the NVR or cameras. NVR is DS-7608NI-SE8/P. Not a big deal to reboot. Don't understand why it worked a month ago and not now, except the dome. Any ideas as to why they now need a reboot to respond to the IR change?

By the way, I can turn on smart IR on the Display Settings, Day/Night Switch menu and see the IR dim slightly when set to ON. So the camera can respond to changes without a reboot.

Last edited by a moderator:

khx73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I find when enabling/disabling the IR Light checkbox, to get it to take effect right away I have to cycle the camera in & out of day/night mode. Never had to reboot. (2032-I cams).

MistaBeak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a couple of Foscams (regrettably) F19828P and a 19803P. Neither camera has a setting to just turn off the IR and yet stay in night IR mode. No matter which setting it will not see the illuminator unless it's own IR is on. I was thinking I could pull apart the housing and black tape over their leds but that would void the warranty. May end up doing that eventually. Any ideas folks?