How to waste an hour on a simple problem + Camera connection.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How to turn a 1/2 job into 1 1/2 hours. Finally installed on the driveway the B5442-Z4 camera I had been using to take comet videos. Mounting went quickly, connected cable, clicked like it normally does, wouldn't work. The connector was a little hard to click, maybe the waterproofing creme kept it from seating. After many tries I substituted the test camera I had previously used, it worked. Took the camera back to the house, plugged it into EPOE switch routing to the driveway, wouldn't work. Well, I thought, it worked on the connector I had laying on the floor..awwwww..it hit me. The NVR recorder uses a different set of IP addresses than the switch to the driveway. I never reset the camera IP address after using it for the comet..grrrr. Reset IP address..installed on driveway..worked fine.. Problem 2 - same camera later kept logging in, stayed up 5 minutes, logged off. Somewhat random but would stay up an hour, then a period of 5min on, then later on and off every 2 minutes. The switch wasn't being moved, no vibrations, etc. Those darn DAHUA cameras! Uh Nope. I plugged it into another port on the switch and no problem since then. Somehow a loose connection just on that port..

Reaction score
It's always something simple, we dream up all the possible causes. Yesterday i had a friend call me because he isn't into tech. He said he some how hit the wrong button on his remote and he doesn't have cable tv channels to watch anymore. I said hit the source button on the remote and make sure its on the right source for the cabel tv. That didn't work so i said i will stop by. I get there he has 3 remotes. 1. tv 2 cable 3 universal. He says this is for the tv, so i take that one and look for the source to get it back to the cable. No luck so i get the cable remote and make sure it is turned on, yep it's on. So he says it can't be the universal remote, i did not touch that one. So i get the universal any way and right on top of the universal remote there is a button that says WATCH TV. You guessed it, i pushed that button and the damn tv was back to where it was on the cable source. He said he spent 2 hours before he decided to ask me for help. :lmao: I told him it's always something simple.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The switch wasn't being moved, no vibrations, etc. Those darn DAHUA cameras! Uh Nope. I plugged it into another port on the switch and no problem since then. Somehow a loose connection just on that port..
I had this type problem after putting on a New RJ45 Connector on Cat6a cable I just purchase from MonoPrice. The Crimper pushes the Connector tang Down when crimping.
So, when I installed it into the Switch the Connector would back out ever so slightly.(hard to tell when in a bundle of Cat6a cables going to the switch) It would be connected 1 minute an not the next. Talk about chase'n your tail for an hour........:banghead:

*Note to Self * Bend the Tang back up after Crimping..and listen for the CLICK when inserting connector into Switch

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How to turn a 1/2 job into 1 1/2 hours. Finally installed on the driveway the B5442-Z4 camera I had been using to take comet videos. Mounting went quickly, connected cable, clicked like it normally does, wouldn't work. The connector was a little hard to click, maybe the waterproofing creme kept it from seating. After many tries I substituted the test camera I had previously used, it worked. Took the camera back to the house, plugged it into EPOE switch routing to the driveway, wouldn't work. Well, I thought, it worked on the connector I had laying on the floor..awwwww..it hit me. The NVR recorder uses a different set of IP addresses than the switch to the driveway. I never reset the camera IP address after using it for the comet..grrrr. Reset IP address..installed on driveway..worked fine.. Problem 2 - same camera later kept logging in, stayed up 5 minutes, logged off. Somewhat random but would stay up an hour, then a period of 5min on, then later on and off every 2 minutes. The switch wasn't being moved, no vibrations, etc. Those darn DAHUA cameras! Uh Nope. I plugged it into another port on the switch and no problem since then. Somehow a loose connection just on that port..
Hey, you did good. I take one hour jobs and turn them into 5-6 hrs jobs all the time. :banghead: