Howdy, y'all

TXc@m

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been a long time lurker, but am finally ready to get started on adding cameras outside my house in the great state of Texas (too much TX pride?). Hello!

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum, I'm in the DFW area of Texas.

TXc@m

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks and nice to meet you. I am in the greater DFW area as well. Did you get your LTS cams locally or did you order them through milkisbad? Also, I heard that the 3MP turret has better nightvision than the 4MP (CMIP3042W) that you have. Any issues at night with the 4MP turret?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I heard that the 3MP turret has better nightvision than the 4MP
This is not accurate.

The 2MP version has the least amount of Noise in the IR image, followed by the 4MP, followed by the 3MP. The 3MP is actually the worst of the 3. Don't get me wrong it's not terrible or anything but it does contain the most noise.

TXc@m

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for setting me right, @zero-degrees. I didn't think it made any sense. I guess I've been looking at too many places for info and probably got it jumbled up. Do you have any experience with the bullet type matrix IR cams from Hikvision? If so, are there any notable differences from the turrets? I have a 2 story house and was planning on getting a 4mm lens (want a wider field of view than a 12mm, but want to get as clear of an image as I can so I can ID plates and people from the soffit on the front of my house. Thanks in advance.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I do @TXc@m - see the below few links for some examples. I will let you know as it relates to "ID plates". In order to do LPR you will need a camera that is dedicated to only that. It will require settings that are useless for anything else, so if that is a must, plan on a camera dedicated to that and it will need to be a 12mm or better lens most likely depending on distance. As it relates to the bullets vs. turrets the answer is YES, especially with the new bullets that are out with the dual matrix. Here are two threads I've done. The first one has the single matrix version and the next one has a dual matrix version. Both were mounted under a second story over hang.
See backyard of each example.

HIKVision & LTS 3 & 4mp Camera review/example
LTS 2MP Dome & Turret install

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a 3mp Turret under a second story more or less. Notice the noise in the night image, its obvious why the 3mp is the worst of the 3.

Attachments

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks and nice to meet you. I am in the greater DFW area as well. Did you get your LTS cams locally or did you order them through milkisbad? Also, I heard that the 3MP turret has better nightvision than the 4MP (CMIP3042W) that you have. Any issues at night with the 4MP turret?

I bought mine through milkisbad - he is great to do business with. As far as the cameras I think I would do 2mp if I had it to do over again. The 4mp are great during the day but I had to add some external IR to get video I was happy with at night.

TXc@m

n3wb
Reaction score
@zero-degrees- I kinda like the way the picture of the dual matrix 4 MP bullet. On another note, I want to put a camera on a 1st story soffit (garage). I am debating between getting a dome camera (like 2CD2142FWD), but am worried that I won't get good enough night time shots. Any thoughts on that vs. a turret within arms length.

@gwminor48 - What did you use for external IR?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I am debating between getting a dome camera (like 2CD2142FWD), but am worried that I won't get good enough night time shots. Any thoughts on that vs. a turret within arms length.
Personally at my last house I had all domes outside under the first floor overhangs. This house I went to all turrets because of the superior IR coverage. I wouldn't personally use domes again for outside coverage.

My problem is for my homes and family members homes I normally use excess stock products so I utilize what I have (dome/turret). For example right now I have turrets outside and domes in my garage. As soon as family wants to pay for products I'll gladly put up whats best, until then though everyone gets excess inventory :)

TXc@m

n3wb
Reaction score
@zero-degrees I guess the only question left is how can I become part of your family so I can get some excess inventory... Haha. Now seriously, thanks so much for your guidance and help. I greatly appreciate it. I will probably be contacting Milkisbad soon. Planning on two 4MP dual matrix bullets for the top story front and back coverage and a 4 MP turret for the garage.

Thank you @gwminor48 for your help too.

The people on this forum are awesome and super helpful.

Edit:grammar

Last edited: