How's This NVR Thing Work?

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mean does it work without a keyboard?

I just got one. It is a 'mini 1U series'.

Step 6 is 'local login' and it warns about too many failures. But how to attempt to log in? There's a usb mouse came with it. Are we to stick a usb keyboard in there instead, is that the idea?

I tried to fire it up but got an 'out of range' message on my screen.
googled that and it seems to be mismatch of resolution. could well be. very ancient old little screen I used for that. maybe too old. but is there anything i can do to lower the resolution the nvr is putting out?

and I stuck my PoE lead from an IP (dahua) cam into one of the ports as something for it to look at. Of course nothing happened because of this screen thing. But when I tried to put that camera back into the PoE switch it used to be in I couldn't/can't find it on the network.

It is no longer accessible under the IP it had.

Does the NVR change IP's when something plugs into it, like a gateway serving out dynamic IP's?

I thought the IP had been made permanent when I set it up. Not so?

Can I make the IP''s of my cameras permanent?

Damned if I know just now how to get to this camera and fix its IP. I think the router sees it, I see an ethernet device there that is probably it. But it has no IP and I don't know how to get the router to give it one.

Am I lost in a typical well-worn cul-de-sac that many blunder into and the way out is clear? Or am i lost in a convoluted mess all of my own?

p.s. I do believe this is a PoE NVR? It has a 48v power supply so I guess that's right. (with only 1.5A max ).

p.p.s. there's no on/off switches on these cameras so I guess unplugging the power cord (i.e. the ethernet/power cord) wouldn't/couldn't blow the circuitry in any way?

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can address the NVR question:
- "mini 1U" means that the chassis can only house a single 2.5" HDD.
- Is there an HDD installed?
- The NVR is locally controlled only by the mouse. Any settings choice that requires entering text (e.g. the password) will pop up a tiny virtual keyboard.
- never connect a keyboard to the USB port. Some NVRs will fail if you do so.
- Once you are logged in, you should be able to find the Display settings. 1024x768 might be better with your monitor than the default 1920x1080.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, geezer.. yes, there's a HDD installed. I put a 2T in there yesterday.

Nothing said anything so I put an old one with lots of space in there. It might even had had an old windows installation on it. That'll be alright? It just looks for data space? Or I better get it out and wipe it clean first?

Thanks for the clues about keyboards etc.

Well I can't log in to change the display settings... I'll try borrowing another monitor somewhere...

I might mention that the default IP of the NVR is/was 192.168.1.108 which WAS the default of the IP camera. But there should have been no conflict, surely, because the camera was 10.0.0.108 on my LAN.

Unless unplugging it caused it to immediately revert to its default. But surely that couldn't be else it'd revert to default every time the power went down... which has happened a few times... so what happens then? the router gives it always the same IP back again... it has never changed since i set it up... 10.0.0.108

Perhaps I should not have plugged a camera into the NVR until after I got it talking to the router?

So I've now got an IP camera that I can't discover. I'm not confident of what my router says, which isn't much anyway. But it has two devices under 'ethernet wired' and one of them has the same device number as my wifi IP camera which also shows up in the 'wifi' list. So I don't know what to make of that.

This reminds me of when I first got it and was trying to power it from a 12v adapter.